View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 18:13   #8
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus108 View Post
I have some new Win brass, 800x, WLP and 180g XTP bullets to load. I'm starting to regret my choice in bullets. I am having trouble finding a reasonable starting point for this weight bullet. I'd like to choose a charge weight that will get me @1200fps, and call it good. The problem is, the numbers i find are all over the place for any similar weight bullets. Has this powder changed a ton over the years? I've seen load data listing 8.4g 800x to 10+g, all for 180gr bullets and all very near 1200fps.

So far, I was thinking of taking a shot in the dark and starting at 9.4g. does this seem reasonable? Starting weights for this powder seem all over the place and data using this specific bullet is very limited. Where should I start? Anyone have a safe load developed, for the 180g XTP, that will give about 1200fps? I shouldn't even be close flirting with max pressure with a load like that, so if I could just get there, I'd at least be somewhere. I'd hate to have to just load these for 40!

I also have power pistol, Bluedot, and unique to work with. Anyone want to share some loads using those powders? I plan on using these XTP's with working up to 10.2 grains Blue Dot?
I've shot quite a few 180gr XTP's over 10.0gr of 800X with CCI300 NON-mag primers in fully supported barrels ... never a problem... I get over 1300fps with a 6" barrel and usually over 1250 with a 4.6" barrel. That being said, some have seen inconsistencies with this powder. I've only bought one pound of it and its still half full, so I've not gotten any different lots to "try" yet, and I doublt I'll ever buy 800X again since Longshot and a few others get me where I need and they also meter, which 800x does not. (I always hand weighed after trickling up the 800x charge).

I've gone as high as 9.5gr with a 200gr XTP and 800x / CCI300 ... but it was pushing what I thought was safe and haven't done any workups that high since. I think 9.2.9.3gr 800X with a 200gr XTP is about safe max in my pistols. With the 180gr XTP, I really have had good luck with 10.0gr. I'd say your 9.4gr starting point will do just right.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote