View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 21:59   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Caution. 800-X is said to be inconsistent, and I am beginning to see evidence to support that. Virtually all load data found limits 800-X to very low pressures. Inconsistent lots might be part of the reason.

In my testing, 9.1 grains under a 180 gr XTP gives noticeable Glock smiles, and 9.6 grains makes pretty nasty ones. It is the only load combination thus far to give me sketchy results. In my gun, and with the batch of powder I was working with, 8.5 grains @ 1150 is the max I feel comfortable with. I don't have an 800-X load for which I am comfortable going to 1200 fps. Perhaps a different lot of powder would have different results. The point being is that 9.4 grains is a bit high of a starting point in my opinion. If you got a lot like the one I was using, you could see some pretty concerning results. I have had different cans of 800-X, but my 180XTP tests were all from a single lot. I may try another workup with a different lot that I have to see what is up. However, I have other powders that are nicer to work with and give great results; so I am not too motivated.

Some guys are getting much better results with 800-X. I would reduce to about 8.0 grains and work up carefully to see how it behaves in your setup. Hodgdon's max is 8.7 grains. So your proposed starting load would be significantly higher than Hodgdon's max.

10.5 grains of Blue Dot gets to 1200 fps with a 180 XTP with no indications of excessive pressure. That load is within Hornady's book data.

13.5 -13.7 grains of Accurate no. 9 gets comfortably to 1200 fps too.

I completely agree.... !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote