View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02   #11
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.s View Post
So if the phrase "Conspicuous Place" is not defined, would you consider a small typeface phrase buried in the middle of a poster of regulations that are not posted on all entrance ways a situation that works against you since it's so vague? If that is the case, then how can you enforce something so vague? As far as I am aware, there is no law which requires you from reading those posters in order to gain entrance to the place that posts them, unlike the decals which cite the exact legislation that the property owner is relying on, so how can you be aware of the regulations in the first place if they do exist? Why bother with something so stupid and unenforceable?
Excellent questions, and I encourage you to direct them to the Ohio state legislature, as they have repeatedly forgotten to consult me about these issues!

ETA: As a practical matter, I advise you to simply keep your eyes open, and if you see a sign or notice in any format, to respect it. The game here isn't to try to stretch the law as far as possible "Oh, that notice isn't conspicuous, so it doesn't count." The game here is to be the mature guy who does the right thing: if you see they don't want you carrying, respect that and go along with it or avoid the place. Don't try to be a "rules lawyer."

If you didn't see the sign, oh well. I've missed a couple myself. The truth is, unless you're really clumsy about it, nobody's likely to even notice you're carrying. It's only a big issue if you have a confluence of bad events: you didn't notice the sign and someone noticed you carrying and that someone thought to call the police and the police responded promptly enough to actually encounter you, etc.

I avoid places I know prohibit carry, and I'm pretty nonchalant about my carry in places where it is permitted. A couple weeks ago I bent over at the veterinarian to lift my dog. My shirt rode up while I was lifting and exposed my pistol to about four people behind me, and nobody said a word. Then again, it's a rural farm vet and pretty much everyone has guns out here.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008

Last edited by cloudbuster; 06-01-2012 at 06:15..
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote