Thread: Test
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 16:17   #5
GRT45
Transform & Win

AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro Night Sights for the Glock 30

Over the years, for aftermarket sights on a concealed carry Glock 30SF pistol I experimented with;
  1. plain black sights (Warren Tactical WAR-WTL-00, plain black rear and serrated front),
  2. tritium on front only (Warren Tactical WAR-WTL-01, green tritium front w/ white ring, plain black rear),
  3. three-lamp, two-color tritium system (Warren Tactical WAR-WTL-21, green tritium front w/ white ring, two smaller amber tritium lamps at rear with black outlines),
  4. two-lamp, two-color tritium system (Sevigny Carry WAR-SCY-11, green tritium front w/ white ring, one smaller amber tritium lamp at rear with black outline), and finally
  5. two-lamp, two-color tritium system with brightly colored ring on front (AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro GL-204, green tritium front with bright orange ring, one amber tritium lamp at rear with black outline).
All the night sights I've owned have used Trijicon tritium lamps. Some shooters prefer the brightness of Meprolight tritium lamps or the exceptional brightness of TruGlo TFO sights that combine tritium and fiber optic elements. To suit my eyesight with moderate astigmatism, the characteristic I look for is a sharp, well-defined dot. Trijicon tritium lamps excel in that category with their aluminum sleeve and sapphire lens to focus the light, whereas the Meprolights are more of a glowing orb in appearance. The protective sapphire lens of the Trijicon tritium lamp stays clear, whereas the plastic lens covering Meprolight lamps have been known to become dull and yellow from repeated contact with solvents. Sights should be cleaned with water by simply using a damp cloth followed by wiping with a dry cloth.

Read the report from Glock Talk member RayB about TruGlo TFO issues before making a decision to buy them. I freely admit that I don't like the size or look of TFO sights, but many shooters love them. The TFO rear sight is distracting in the extreme to me. I'm a shooter who prefers a simple black rear sight with at most one tritium lamp with a black outline that tends to disappear in normal indoor light and daylight. I also require sights that can take punishing treatment and not suffer disabling damage. I'll take a pass on anything fiber optic for a combat pistol, but a FO front sight is an excellent choice for competition shooting and hunting.

RayB has written an excellent summary of various brands of night sights that every prospective buyer should read to learn more about them.

The Warren Tactical and Sevigny Carry sights are superb for precision shooting at longer range beyond 10-15 yards. However, I believe there are better options with a more visible front sight that are faster on target at close range for self-defense, especially for shooters with aging eyesight. The XS Big Dot 24/7 Express sights are good for fast point shooting in a close-in self-defense application, especially for shooters with less than perfect eyesight, but I never was satisfied with the results I could achieve with XS Big Dot sights for precise shots at longer range beyond 10 yards. The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro sights were the best compromise I found between fast target acquisition at short range and fairly good precision at longer range out to 25 yards.

I prefer a two-lamp night sight configuration over a three-lamp system (two at rear). After using both types, I believe a three-lamp system is more distracting, slower to get aligned, and more prone to confuse the shooter in near total darkness if all three tritium lamps are the same color. Two lamps on the rear sight with white outlines are needlessly distracting in normal daylight. It's just my opinion and a personal preference.

Some shooters like a tritium front sight only with a plain black rear sight to simplify the low-light sight picture even further. However, after doing some low-light training, for my eyesight I prefer something on the rear sight to index front and rear for precision shots in low light beyond a range of 10 yards. However, I want a very simple lamp on the rear sight, with a black outline, that tends to disappear in normal daylight.

The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro sights are my favorite night sights.

The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro set has a very distinctive ProGlo front sight and a rear sight with a wide notch (.180"). The ProGlo front sight is a Trijicon green tritium lamp surrounded by a brightly colored ring available in either orange or lime green (see the color comparison photo below). The lime green model has a more yellow hue in some lighting (see example).

The orange is a brightly colored paint only, whereas the lime green is photoluminescent paint and will glow in low light for several minutes after being "charged" with a light source (for example, sunlight, indoor fluorescent lighting, or LED flashlight). Of course, both models perform equally well for visibility in a long period of darkness since both have a green tritium lamp at the center of the ring. Orange provides the best contrast against a target background of light-colored clothing in normal indoor light and outdoors in sunlight, but the glowing lime green ring makes the transition easier going from light to darkness before your eyes adjust to low light and the tritium lamp takes over. You must decide which is more important to you. If the pistol also serves home defense duty, where it's more likely to be used with a tac light at night, the glowing lumi-lime model has distinct advantages.

S&W M&P I-Dot Pro sights in the photo below are shown for front sight color comparison only.
Test-Posts Here

The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro green tritium front with orange outline and amber tritium lamp on the rear sight are my personal favorite. They are pictured below (Model GL-204 for G30). UPDATE: Sadly, this tritium color combo of green/front and amber/rear has been discontinued. AmeriGlo still offers a version with a green tritium lamp on both the front and rear sights (Model GL-203 for G30). IMPORTANT: Late in 2012, AmeriGlo changed the design of the rear sight to have squared corners in the notch. Earlier versions of the I-Dot Pro rear sight have rounded corners in the notch. The original rounded-corner rear sight is available upon request with a green tritium lamp only.
Test-Posts Here
Test-Posts Here

The amber tritium lamp at the rear sight is slightly smaller and not as bright as the green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. I like how the larger, brighter green tritium focuses my attention where it belongs on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight in low light as it might if both lamps were green dots of equal size and brightness. Of course, frequent training in low light can overcome deficient sights, but I prefer the extra insurance of contrasting sights when the stress level is high.

The orange ring on the ProGlo front sight really stands out in daylight. The bright front sight and wide notch on the rear sight facilitate very fast target acquisition in normal indoor and outdoor light. The ProGlo front sight is easy and fast to spot early in the draw stroke and presentation.

The orange color on the front sight is painted on, but it's claimed to be very durable. Even so, I avoid exposing it to harsh cleaning solvents to be on the safe side.

If you like the ProGlo front sight but really prefer a three-lamp system, may I suggest the AmeriGlo Spartan Tactical Night Sights or the Trijicon HD™ Night Sights. Considering all the features the HD sights share with the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro, I think the HD sights are an excellent alternative but more expensive than most. Note that AmeriGlo offers the Spartan Tactical sights with the option of contrasting tritium lamp colors on the front and rear sights (green/front & amber/rear) or the option of green tritium lamps on both front and rear sights.

The I-Dot Pro sights should be installed as a pair. The tall I-Dot Pro rear sight is designed for POA=POI with a taller ProGlo front sight (.220"H x .140"W). A mismatched pair with the tall I-Dot rear and a stock height front sight (.165"H) on a G30 will shoot a POI ~3.3 inches high at a range of 10 yards and ~8.3 inches high at 25 yards.

When viewed through the wide rear notch, the adequate clearance on either side of the front sight improves visibility to orient the front sight on the target and makes it easier to move focus from one target to the next. However, the rear notch is not so wide that accuracy suffers at longer range.

The right-angle forward face of the rear sight makes one-handed clearance drills easier to rack the slide on a belt, boot, holster, bench or some other hard surface. The rear sight extends rearward from the dovetail, thus adding more sight radius distance, and the rear face is slightly undercut to reduce glare.

Suggested additional reading and viewing:

There is an excellent review of the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro sights at JerkingTheTrigger.com in an article titled, "Handgun Sight Review: AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro." It includes more pictures and is a must read for prospective buyers.

Video: Glock Talk member Raleigh Glocker has produced a video review of the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro night sights on his TWANGnBANG YouTube Channel >>> AmeriGlo Pro I-Dot! Big Dot Night Sights with a Twist

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421823
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18998973&postcount=5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-05-2014 at 16:37..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote