View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 15:12   #2
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
Is the .40 S&W really all that much more effective than the 9mm? .45 ACP penetration is awfully pathetic, but it's still a good anti-personal caliber. Out of these three calibers, which would be the best one overall?
As measured in what??? Sure, hard barriers, everyone knows smaller dia penetrate better. In tissue, the 45acp offers mor ethan enough penetration w/ any bullet wt. Which caliber would depend on what bullets I am required to use. With good JHP, they are all too close to call. With FMJ, I would be taking the largest possible diameter since I get no expansion. Bigger holes are better. Bigger holes going deeper are better still. After all, one of the reasons to use a good JHP in the 9mm is to get the frontal diameter larger to increase terminal peroformance & to limit penetration.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-29-2012 at 15:13..