View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 09:55   #13
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainXL View Post
Thank you very much. From what you have given me (from the Hornady book) it is obvious that I need to scrap the Lee book, let the Lyman book gather dust and get the latest copy of the Hornady book.

Thank you for all of your help and answers.
Not at all. There is no magic in the Horandy manual either. The issue I have with Lee is they rarely tell you what bullet, so you can't match against another bullet. WIth starting data, it doesn't matter as much. As you go up the load data, then bullet shape matters quite a bit. It all has to do with OAL & bearing surface of the bullet. SO without that, you can't get much off starting data without knowing how to read pressures signs & interpret them.

PP works, just not a huge fan. It does NOT do well at starting data, none of the medium burners do, but it's useful. I prefer WSF, less blast & only slightly faster. Universal & Unique are other good choices for 9mm or 40.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-29-2012 at 09:57..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote