View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 22:26   #9
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainXL View Post
Can I use the same load data for all 115gr jacket bullets?

As an example -- Lyman book says for 115gr JHP
With Power Pistol powder -- Sug Starting 5.9gr -- Max Load 6.5gr

Can I use the same powder, same Sug Start Gr and same Max Gr for ALL 115gr jacketed bullets? Would the data for Power Pistol be the same for JHP, FMJ, JSWC?
No, for the reasons that Fred mentioned. For starting loads, you might be able to interchange bullet types but when you get closer to max loads, not so much.

A true FMJ is a round nose bullet with a jacket surrounding the lead except at the base.

When you look at the Hornady manual, you will see that they aren't as selective about bullet types. They lump 3 or 4 types together and present just one load. It is probably not an optimal load for any but should be safe for all. For example, Hornady combines the 115 gr HP-XTP (their product) with the 115 gr FMJ RN (an industry standard type).

For the 124 gr 9mm, Hornady lumps the HP-XTP, FMJ-RN, FMJ-FP and LRN (only the HP-XTP is still in production at Hornady).

Starting out, you need 3 things to match up: the bullet, the powder and the data to put them together. Find a book you like, pick the components from the loads presented and load as given in the book. When you want to spread out, buy a different book.

Another thing that is useful is a powder burn-rate chart:
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

You want to use slower powders when you start loading. Something down around Unique (#31 on the list). Try to stay away from 700-X, Bullseye and Titegroup for a while.

As you will probably start out buying powder and primers at the LGS, it will be helpful for you to find out which powders they stock. Maybe have them mark up the burn-rate chart. As you look at different loads, you will know which components you can get.

You can buy primers and powder over the Internet but there is an additional $25 hazmat feed for shipping. To make it worthwhile, you need to buy a LOT of components and that might not be a good idea until you have a load your really like.

Bullets you can buy from Precision Delta or Montana Gold. My preference for price is Precision Delta. PD sells by the 1000 although there is a $5 penalty if you buy an odd number of thousands. So, make sure you like the bullet and load before you order 2000. Actually, they make a nice bullet. The only question will be which powder to use.

The only 115 gr FMJ load at the Hodgdon site uses WSF powder (#36 on the list). That might be a good place to start. A lot of people use WSF. Hodgdon does list a lot of loads for LRN and GDHP. But just one for a true FMJ.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

EDIT: WSF stands for Winchester Super Field. WST stands for Winchester Super Target. Just in case your LDS doesn't recognize the abbreviations. I didn't...

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-28-2012 at 22:30..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote