View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07   #1
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Where do people come up with this stuff??

I need some suggestions from fellow collectors out there. As you can see, I've changed my signature line, and it has worked - I've had a couple people contact me about commemoratives they'd like to sell. However, I've had a run of bad luck/unreasonable people.

The first guy had a Bell Helo Glock. He asked me what I thought it was worth. I told him I'd rather he started off at a price and we'd go from there. He wouldn't put a number to it, and said something to the effect of: "hey, you're the expert, tell me what it's worth." I told him a starting offer that was fairly generous (started in the 4-figure range). I never heard another thing.

Then, a guy e-mails me and says he's got a Desert Storm Glock for sale, and he wondered if I would be interested. I explained that I already have one, but if the price is right, I'd be interested, and asked him what price he wanted. He said $2500, and he said that the "only two he could find for sale via google" were $10,500 and $3499... I told him that he needs to look harder as I had just seen a matched pair of DS Glocks on Gunbroker a month prior for $1500. After a long exchange of e-mails, with him challenging my knowledge of the collector's market, I told him to go ahead and try to sell it for $2500 on Gunbroker. He posted it there 7 times, starting at $3500 and the last time he posted it, he started it at $1500. The only time he got any bids was when he started it at $.01, and he got two bids, ending up at $450. (He had a reserve so it didn't sell.) Then he registers here at GT and puts it in the classified ads twice, back up at $2500. As I told him and expected, he still owns the gun.......

Then, my wife finds an FBI commemorative for sale on a website. The guy has it posted for $2500. I e-mail him and tell him my background and knowledge of comemmorative guns in general and the FBI commemorative specifically. I gently suggest what he has listed it for is far outside the realm of reasonableness. He says, "make me an offer." I do, and he comes back and says I'm waaay outside the realm of reasonableness (even though I offered him more than he paid for it, and a price within the range they've been selling for on GB), and that the owner of Rock Island Auctions told him it was worth $2500 and he wouldn't sell it for a fraction of that price.... I responded that I've been to RIA many times (I live nearby them), and they've very rarely had Glocks (they don't have a Glock-collecting clientele outside me, that I've seen), and if he thinks he can get $2500 for a Glock to go ahead and list it at the auction house. I'd love to see him get it (Again, it means my collection is worth more), but I strongly doubt he will.

So, my questions:

1) What is up with people??? You can see it over and over again here in the Collector's Corner that 99.9% of Glock owners won't buy a Glock they won't shoot anyway, and the collector's market in Glocks is pretty small. There's probably a couple hundred GCA members, and maybe 50 more guys that regularly post here who are true collectors?

2) Any suggestions on how to handle people who won't give a price and force me to give one first? (They've been watching Pawn Stars and American Pickers and think they know the system, I guess...) I've been a coroner for 12 years and I've given people news of a loved one's death that went over better than the reaction I'm getting from these people...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Last edited by MakeMineA10mm; 02-23-2012 at 07:08..
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote