View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02   #22
Christopher67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
Like others have said, there is only ONE issue with carrying hand loads. That is that you will not be able to use gun shot residue to corroborate your claimed shooting distance. However, Massad Ayoob will openly admit that there is no case where this has ever caused someone to be convicted. In fact, there is no case on record where someone has gotten convicted because of hand loads. So, in my opinion, this is all internet myth. Sure, some prosecutor could say that you were looking to kill someone with your super-powerful, home-brewed, plutonium-core, Osama Bin Laden special edition rounds, but it's never happened.

I carry hand loads in my G29, and I don't worry about it. Personally, I think the best way to not find myself behind bars is to only shoot if I'm about to die. I don't mean I'm about to get beat up, or about to have my car stolen, or about to get insulted. I mean I'm seconds FROM DEATH. I am confident that I can make the right decision, and that I won't shoot when lesser means could resolve the situation. If you never make it to court, your hand loads can't be used against you. There are plenty of cases where "innocent" people got convicted, like Harold Fish. However, he made lots of mistakes. Primarily, shooting an unarmed man. Don't do stupid stuff like that, and you won't find yourself having to defend your choice of ammo. Do stupid stuff like that, and you need to worry about bigger things than ammo brand.

I think we all need to realize that guns do not make us cops or crime fighters. We (well, I) do not carry guns to rid the world of crime. We carry guns to save our lives (and those we love) from imminent death. Guns are for that time when you hear your inner voice saying, "Oh my god, I'm about to DIE." If you wait for that moment, you should not have a problem defending yourself in court.

OP, to answer your question, I would recommend Winchester 175gr Silvertips or CorBon 135gr JHPs. The Underwood 135gr Nosler JHPs would be great, too. They are pretty much an exact replica of the hand loads that I carry, and would likely be my first choice. Another good choice would be Buffalo Bore's Barnes bullet load. Double Tap loads with good bullets (Barnes, 135gr Nosler JHP, etc.) would also work.

Great post!
Christopher67 is offline   Reply With Quote