View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08   #19
ABNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road View Post
Some advice for the wise....I paid my way thorough college working for the medical examiner of a large, populous county. Also taught human anatomy for a few years. Based on what I have seen and learned firsthand (not just shooting at gelatin blocks!)....I load Glaser Silvers! (They recommend Blue for summer, and Silver for winter where thicker clothing will be the norm.)

Yes...there will be some situations like around vehicles where barrier penetration will be necessary, but as a civilian I am not going to be engaging in a running gunbattle around vehicles....all I want to do is fire that one shot that will save my life! When I feel I might need some hollow points, still I am likely to alternate them every other round with the Glasers. (Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense in the G26, and 115 gr STP in the G19.)

This is closer to what you can expect in real world performance. Likely the bullet will hit or glance off a rib. It will deform badly, the hollow point will pack up, it will tend to go in at an angle or end up completely sideways, and deep penetration will be the norm not the exception. http://www.brassfetcher.com/40S&W%20...%20Gelatin.pdf
Man, you are gonna get poleaxed around here for the Glaser thing!

11C2P '83-'87
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote