View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 20:03   #122
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Governor Stockdale....Those people choose, for whatever reason I know not, to hold me as a representve Southerner; hence, I know they watch my words and...what I say would be caught up by their speakers and newspapers, and magnified into a pretext to adding to the load of oppression they have placed on our poor people; and God knows, that load is heavy enough now...Governor; if I had forseen the the use those people designed to make of their victory there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no, sir, not by me. Had I forseen the results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in this right hand."
No authoritative Biography of Lee includes this because it is highly disputed since it was based on hearsay and not actual first hand account.

Quote:
General Robert E. Lee to then Governor Stockdale of Texas, 1870
More evidence of your historical illiteracy and the fact you do not check your facts. FS Stockdale was elected Lt. Governor in 1863. He was Governor from May 1865 until August of 1865.

Quote:
We asked to be left in peace. To go in peace.
The South did not go in peace, they were the beliegerents, they were the ones threatening war and committing acts of war in seizing the Legal property of the Union and firing on Union Ships and forts.