View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 22:13   #110
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
We can't get our stories straight? I claim the emancipation proclamation caused riots? You choose to ignore facts Dragoon.
No I simply recognize that you and Natty are not on the same page. He claims turning the war into a war to free the salves united the North, you say it divided the North. You obviously cannot BOTH be right.

Quote:
Read up on the 1863 draft riots. For four days, July 13th to July 16th New York riots destroyed millions of dollars of property and hundreds were killed by the rioters and federal troops, late of the battle of Gettysburg, who fired point blank on the rioters. It was only the largest anti government insurgency in United States history, and took a massive use of deadly force against Northern people to put down.
No, the souths illegal secession by force of arms was the largest anti government insurrection in the history of the United States.

Quote:
Yes, the war was all about ending slavery.
Let me see if I understand you correctly, You are presenting the response of newspapers to the emancipation proclamation in 1863 as evidence that the war was about ending slavery though the war started in 1861 is that right?

Quote:
Lincoln had hundreds arrested and held w/o trial. Dozens of Northern news papers were denied the use of the mails or were destroyed by Federal troops because they spoke out about his rape of the Constutition and dictatorial misuse of power. Just more neo Confederate crap that we conjured up 150 years after the fact I suppose?
No one has claimed those things didn't happen, but I will point out they had absolutely NOTHING to do with why the south seceded or why the South started the war.

And while we are at it we might mention that Jefferson Davis suspended Habeus Corpus as well. Guess that made him a dictator huh?

And long before the War southern states were intercepting and destroying abolitionist material entering their states thru the mails.

in 1836 the "slave power" which dominated the House of representatives due to the slavers "property being counted for purposes of state representation in the House of Representative passed the "gag Rule" which forbid any debate, or any resolutions, etc on slavery.

Quote:
says: "All petitions, memorials, resolutions, propositions, or papers, relating in any way, or to any extent whatsoever, to the subject of slavery or the abolition of slavery, shall, without being either printed or referred, be laid on the table and that no further action whatever shall be had thereon."
John Adams fought against it as a violation of Constitutional rights.

Virginia had a law on the books that made it a criminal offense to say that a slave owner did not have a property right in his slaves.