View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02   #235
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races -- that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior and I as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

.....Abraham Lincoln, September 18, 1858. Debate with Stephen A. Douglas, in the race for Illinois Senator.
Lincoln like the Founding Fathers certainly did not consider the black man the equal of the White man. Also like many of the Founding Fathers Lincoln considered slavery and evil.

Herein lies the fundamental differences between Lincoln and the "Peckerwoods" I quoted. Lincoln did not agree that the Black mans inequality with Whites made him subject to slavery, being owned and considered Chattel property.

Here are some more Lincoln quotes.

Quote:
July 1, 1854:

If A. can prove, however conclusively, that he may, of right, enslave B. -- why may not B. snatch the same argument, and prove equally, that he may enslave A?--

You say A. is white, and B. is black. It is color, then; the lighter, having the right to enslave the darker? Take care. By this rule, you are to be slave to the first man you meet, with a fairer skin than your own.

You do not mean color exactly?--You mean the whites are intellectually the superiors of the blacks, and, therefore have the right to enslave them? Take care again. By this rule, you are to be slave to the first man you meet, with an intellect superior to your own.

But, say you, it is a question of interest; and, if you can make it your interest, you have the right to enslave another. Very well. And if he can make it his interest, he has the right to enslave you.
Quote:
As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.