View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21   #7
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankme30 View Post
Thanks for all the responses... The load data is for a 5" barrel with 1:16" twist using Federal 150 primers.... I am using CCI 300 primers and shot my reloads out of both my XD45 tactical with 5" barrel and my 1911 with 5" barrel. The results were very close. I also tried some factory ammo and was getting over 800 FPS so I dont think it is the Chronograph.

I have loaded around 1000 rounds so far and this was the first chance I had to chrono any of them. I will be using these loads for USPSA, so I was concerned when I realized I wasnt making major power factor. I guess I will see if I can get another Chrono to use, otherwise I will just continue to work up the loads until I get to where I need to be. Of course I will keep looking for signs of pressure. I was concerned because the max load is 5.3GR and I am at 4.5 and my velocity is alomost 100 FPS under the Minumum load velocity.

Thanks again for the replies.
The load data you are referencing is for a Hornady FMJFN bullet with a COL of 1.200". I assume you are using Precision Delta's FMJ RN bullet.

Load data that might be closer to your bullet could be found in the Speer manual. They show a 230gr. TMJ RN bullet with a starting load of 5.6gr. of 231 at a COL of 1.260" and a Max charge of 6.2gr. 231 at COL 1.260" at 858fps in a 4.4" barrel.

I would check your COL and continue to increase your load slowly, it looks like you have sufficient room to achieve the velocity you desire safely.
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote