View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 00:50   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankme30 View Post
Hello,

I am fairly new to reloading, I have only loaded 45ACP and have only used hodgdon HP38/Win231 powder and Precision Delta 230Gr FMJ bullets using a Dillon Square Deal B press.

According to Hodgdon's load data, 4.2gr of HP38 at 1.200 AOL should make 751 FPS with a Hornady 230gr FMJ FP. That is the closest data I could find as nothing is listed for the precision delta 230gr FMJ. When I chrono my loads using 4.5 gr of HP38 I am averaging only 660 FPS.

Anyone else have issues with results that far off from listed velocity? Is there something I could be doing wrong? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Understand this, your gun is your gun, the book data may use something entirely diff. You are likely to not get the identical vel even if using the identical components. Trying to achieve printed data using a chronograph can be frustrating at least & disasterous at worst, if you don't understand the relationship. Example, you will never get book vel using your G36 w/ any published data not put together in a G36. Even then, you could have as much as 50fps diff between the same guns w/ identical loads.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2011 at 00:52..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote