View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 13:45   #44
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
The Secret Service's findings were the result of objective testing which included extensive testing with hard barriers. I was asked why I re-barreled my .40 S&Ws to .357 SIG and provided the answer. I certainly wasn't trying to influence anyone in their personal defense cartridge selection - if you think .40 S&W or even .25 ACP serves you better, that's what I'd use.
I am not denying there are slight benefits, but it is subjective. If you think a 1" diff in drop to 100yds is better or that 50ft# is better, well, it may be, but does it matter? No, not really. A few years down the road this or that LEA will move to something else based on "objective" testing. Does it mean that their previous choice is not invalid? See my point, it matters little why one LEA or another chooses a service round. Look at the "objective" testing that now has the US mil carrying a Beretta 9mm?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-10-2011 at 17:50..