View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 18:06   #25
Wyocop

You make some good points...

...and some I disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
How many shootings has the Treasury Dept (including the USSS) been involved in recently? Just because an agency adopts the .357Sig that doesn't mean that it's the most effective caliber/load available.
True, but the same could be said of any weapon or caliber.

Quote:
The USBP issued the .357Mag 110JHP (with the 125JHP as an option) to replace the erratic performing 38Spl 110JHP+P+ "Treasury" load, then the 115JHP+P+ in 9mm and then the 155JHP in 40S&W, and all of these loads were highly effective on BGs.
Of course they were. No one would say these aren't good loads.

Quote:
And BTW, the USBP is involved in more shootings than all the other federal agencies combined.
I think that's true. But a many state agencies around the country have gone to the 357 SIG and I don't know if USBP is involved in more shootings than all those state agencies combined. In North Carolina (the tread starter's home state) every state agency went to it: troopers, game wardens, alcohol agents, and state criminal investigators. The reasons usually heard are barrier penetration and duplication of the venerable .357 Magnum's ballistics with the 125 gr JHP. The old magnum round has been amply represented in police gunfights, especially highway shootings.

Quote:
The Sig cartridge is a limited "nitch" cartridge that can be replaced by all the other semi-auto service calibers.
I don't accept that as fact. See argument about duplicating the .357 125 JHP.

Quote:
It's really a "neither fish nor fowl" cartridge and it's major downfall for LE use is cost of both training and service ammunition.
Point taken with ammo costs (at least for now) but I don't buy the training part. In my experience, my G33 has less muzzle flip than my partner's G27. Both are "snappy" but the .40 snaps up and the 357 snaps back. I can make a faster follow-up shot with my G33.

Quote:
The 40S&W caliber is much better suited for both LE and civilian SD use because of the various bullet weights/designs available in both training and SD ammunition.
Civilain SD? Maybe. LE? I don't think so. At least not where barriers are likely to be a concern. The versatility argument has it's points in civilian SD but not LE given that most agencies will mandate a certain duty round.

Last edited by Wyocop; 04-10-2011 at 15:01..