View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 13:59   #82
ezterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaforwar View Post
Mix,
Your desire to have an uber-clean chamber isn't bad by any means. It is, however, a product of an archaic cleaning regimen produced by military standards. I was the same way after my EAS from the Corps. I thought all rifles needed to pass a white glove test and anything more than a thin film of CLP meant certain doom.

Years later I have found the opposite to be truthful. The only clean chamber (by military standards) on any of my rifles is from a brand new unfired LMT. Once I get around to using that rifle I won't focus on the chamber, I will focus on a maintenance regimen (lubricate generously, wipe down/bore snake every 1k-2k rounds) that has proven successful for my application.

Cheers,
Dan
I totally agree. I train my soldiers to do a wipe down, swab the barrel, lightly lube the upper, lightly lube the BCG, and a couple of drops on the bolt and smear with finger. I don't do a white glove test on my soldiers' weapon. I just make sure it's properly lubed and wiped clean. I also make sure outside is wiped clean before put up in the arms room.

Back to the original post. I also own both a DI and piston gun. It's an LWRC M6A2 and a RRA Entry. I prefer my LWRC. My LWRC has been running flawless in the 3K or so rounds I have through it. My RRA has been near flawless in the approximately 6K rounds through it. Before I got my LWRC I took a carbine course here in the northwest. As always, when I shoot a course or a match, I like to test my weapon and see how it performs when neglected. After the first day of shooting, I left it as is. No cleaning. At the start of the second day, in cold muggy, rainy weather, my first to rounds shot failed to extract. Both times I had to use a cleaning rod to force the spent case out of the chamber. I cleaned the barrel and chamber and put some lube on the bolt, and it ran fine for the rest of the second day.

That's my experience so far with a piston vs DI gun. Honestly, I prefer my LWRC mainly because it's an all around better gun. Not because it's a piston, but because it has a better barrel, more accurate, I like the Vltor stock better, and LWRC uses all around better parts. Now, if I had a Noveske or some other high end DI gun, it would be tough for me to decide on a go to weapon when comparing it to my LWRC. It would probably come down to what "feels" better.

What I do like about piston guns vs di guns is the fact that it stays lubed even after a rough day of shooting. Last summer I shot a 2 day tac rifle match. It was hot and dusty. Over the course of the match I shot in excess of 500 rounds. Then, I shot another tac rifle match on the third day which put another 100 rounds or so through my LWRC. At the end of the third day, the bolt and BCG were still wet. This experience, to me, makes me lean toward piston guns. I think that a gun that stays lubed will be less prone to excessive wear and more likely to run reliably. I don't have hard data or evidence to prove this, but it's my opinion.

If anyone has a high end di gun like a Noveske to give me, I'd be happy to shoot it and compare it to my LWRC . I swear I can do it without bias.