View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 14:43   #14
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSandi View Post
...most of y'all are slightly right of the Kaiser when it come to law and order issues...
You'd be surprised. I grew up behind the Iron Curtain. That experience instilled in me a healthy defiant streak. I fully understand the irony behind someone with my world view becoming a cop. I avoid political debates on CT and in other cop forums (internet or meat-space) because my political views are quite different from the majority of cops I know. I am very skeptical when it comes to government use of power. Because I am a cop, it means that I am very judicial in when I decide to press an issue, simply because I think that the government sticks its ugly nose in too many areas where it doesn't belong.

HOWEVER, I am a cop. I am paid to enforce the law. That sometimes puts me in risky situations that arise out of concepts I may or may not wholly agree with. I do it because law makers (whom I may also agree or disagree with) enacted laws, and the people have entrusted me with making sure that if someone breaks one of those, that person will get an appointment with a judge, who will examine the incident in some detail. I am not an ordinance whore, and I do not write every equipment violation I see or stop. I try not to lose sight of the fact that I am a citizen as well as a cop, and I try to treat people as I would like to be treated (as a citizen, not a cop).

The other side of the coin is that, like any other citizen, I expect to go home at the end of my shift and spend quality time with my wife and kids. Because the citizens have put me in a role where, on their behalf, I take certain kinds of risks, I expect that they will allow me to take certain actions to minimize those risks. No, I DEMAND that they allow me to do that. I think I am reasonable in what I ask. Just because I am a cop does not mean I want to live in a police state. Been there, done that. It sucked. I do what I do with great respect for the law and people's rights. I will also do what I need to do to ensure that others respect my rights, including the right to go home in one piece.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote