View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26   #3
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

I've got experience with both. My advice is, yes, duracoat costs "a little" more, but you get what you pay for, so go with the duracoat if you've got (or can afford) the equipment needed to apply it. The cost differance between the two isn't all that much, IMO. Duracoat is sold in 4 or 8 oz bottles, and it goes a long way. I'd say a 4oz bottle of duracoat, applied with an air-brush, will equal at least 2 cans of Krylon in total area covered. Duracoat will outlast numerous krylon paint jobs, so in the long run, it's actually cheaper. And the color choices between the two doesn't even come close. Duracoat has hundreds of colors suitable for firearms, and you can mix colors to get the exact shade you want. The downside to duracoating is buying the application tools, and if you get tired of the "look" you've created, paint is easy to remove and start over. Not so with duracoat. It's pretty much "permanent".

I krylon painted a Remington 870 Express in camo, about 8 yrs ago. After a long season of duck & goose hunting with it, it looked battered. At least 1/3 the krylon was gone. I'd repaint it every summer. Last summer, I stripped all the krylon and duracoated it. After the season was over, it looked just as good as the day I finished it. I'm really impressed with the durability.

The biggest expense for duracoat is some type of air compressor. I already had one, so all I needed was a $25 airbrush from Harbor Freight, and lots of brake cleaner for cleaning/degreasing prior to applying (the key to a solid application is clean and grease/oil free surfaces... but that's true for both krylon & duracoat, or anything else you'd apply). So far, I've done 5 firearms, and have several more just waiting for some warm weather.