View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47   #203
ak74auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado_mick View Post
So...this Gen wants the Army infantry to be trained and equipped like...Marines???

If a bunch of jerkoff 18 year olds can be taught to make hits at 500yards with iron sight equipped (not to mention beat on) M16A2's consistently in under two weeks time, I'd say that's a pretty powerful argument for the capability of the current US issue BATTLE RIFLE. The M16A4 is NOT a Vietnam era carbine...it is a truly capable main battle rifle regardless of chambering.

The Army's mistake was issuing an M4 to everydamnbody instead of on a case by case or unit by unit basis. I'd say that an Army grunt could benefit from an A4 just like a Marine grunt does, provided he receives proper marksmanship instruction.

In the end, if SHTF blah blah blah...a lot of people who spent a lot of time stocking up for the occasion are going to come to the startling realization that it's the tactics of the user and not the tools of the trade that make the biggest difference. Simply owning a scoped .308 and shooting tight groups at a grand does not make you combat effective.

When I went thru Infantry School at Ft.Benning, we were issued A4's, but that was several years ago.