View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 18:30   #90
mtnglocker

Here's another horror story at baggage check-in. About 20 years ago, I was an active LEO, traveling with my wife on vacation to New Orleans. I had my S&W Model 38 Airweight, unloaded and locked inside a case per instructions from the airline. No problem leaving Tampa. I told the clerk I was an off-duty LEO, and want to declare an unloaded firearm in my luggage. He said no problem, put the blue tag inside the suitcase and I was on my way.

On the way back, at the NO airport, I approached the young female clerk with the same line. She said: "take the gun out, I need to make sure its unloaded." I looked around for a security guard or police officer to assist, but none around. I took the firearm out and swung open the cylinder to show her, as discreetly as I could. See, no rounds in the cylinder. She said: "You have to make it click so I could make sure." I asked her to repeat herself.......I said fine, and pointing it down in a safe manner, I dry fired it 3 times, see its empty !!! The "clicking" noise brought over a security guard and after I explained the lunacy and lack of knowledge of the clerk, not to mention the upset people behind me, he said you're good to go, have a safe flight.

Since 9-11, and the increased firearm carrying public, I'm sure training and experience of the clerks is somewhat better. Now I just try to drive on vacation.
Patriot Guard Rider...Support our Troops!