View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 20:13   #86
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
IMO I'd be careful about this. Depending on the carry laws of the state you're in, walking up to the counter with an encased but not packed firearm may or may not be legal. The exception might be that if the firearm case was your only luggage, you'd probablt be finebut I don't travel that way.. My procedure is to pack the case in my luggage and only open the luggage after declaring the firearm to the counter rep. and following their instructions. I have had one or two occasions where the rep didn't even bother to look at the weapon before handing me the declaration to sign

I'd rather pack it and be safe rather than sorry. Again, my .02 Others may disagree.
I agree with this. Half the time the agent at the desk won't even open your bag. They'll have you fill out the declaration tag, put it inside your bag, and that's it for them. Then you'll either be forwarded to TSA for a quick secondary or they'll put it on the belt and instruct you that if TSA needs to inspect it more further then you'll be paged.

So I wouldn't take the unnecessary step of pulling it out ahead of time. I tend to think of it like this... "will my actions make the people behind the counter more or less comfortable?" Within the regs, I always aim to make them more comfortable. It almost always makes it easier on me to do that.