View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 18:01   #546
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKid View Post
I am confident that you have succeeded.
You're too kind
Quote:
3.5 weeks ago was his treatment. He was prescribed Interceptor by my vet which evidently is a 1 pill every 30 days treatment.
OK, that good because it rules that out

Quote:
I have been very diligent in cleaning up the messes, both for his benefit and my own. I have been using the Natures Miracle Advanced spray to clean up the smell so he can't smell it anymore, which seems to work really well. He doesn't have a favorite spot where he goes. Basically just wherever he is at when he gets the urge.
That's good too, Natures Miracle is great stuff so I know the odor is gone. This also tells me that he's actually having "accidents" and it's not becoming a learned behavior by continually going on one spot.

Quote:
The last time he has went in his crate was a week ago. I got him a new crate (I was concerned about air flow in his old crate as it gets hotter in the evenings so i got him a wired crate). I think it was a combinatin of too large of a partition that I gave him coupled with "this isn't my den." He has been really good since.
The main thing about the crate, as I'm sure you've read in this thread, that it's no bigger than he is. He should have just enough room to turn around and nothing should be in there to be able to soak up anything.

Quote:
It tends to be somewhere within 30 minutes of his regular trip outside. Kind of like he hits his point that he can't hold it anymore. So I would cut down his intervals to only 1.5 hours thinking he can't hold it 2 hours just yet. And he will pee within 30 minutes of THAT interval. So I increased it back to 2 hours and watch him like a hawk.
This actually reminds me of something that I forgot in my first post. His he urinating more or is it both? If it is more urinating, do you have water available for him at all times?

Quote:
I will definitely work on that. How stubborn do I need to be? We kind of have a battle of wills at times. With it involving feeding time, do I stick it out until he calms down regardless of time frame?
Yes, this part may take some time. After the walk, while you're preparing his food, make sure he gives you some space. If your hands are full, use your feet to gently push him away. Once you've got the food into the bowl, hold it up off of the ground at chest height. Again, if he tries to go for it, a curt "NO" and a body/foot block is OK. This is where you have to wait it out. Since he's young, what you should be looking for is the exact moment he relaxes/sits/stands there looking at you/focuses on something besides the food etc... Pretty soon that will become the routine for him. As he gets older you need to start asking for more, like a down & stay until you're ready. But for now, baby steps is where it's at.

Quote:
Walks go really well. He has taken to the leash easily. He has started to pull on the leash recently. I am not using a prong colar, just a buckle colar right now. Which I am definitely open to using if you don't think he is too young for it. His focus on me isn't what I would want but I am not sure if its cause of his age or if its cause of lack of training. Once I get his attention while working with him, I have his attention. But I lose it easily with distractions. The buckle colar really doesnt do much in the area of getting him to redirect his attention to me. But I also didn't want to move too quickly into the prong collar/choke collar and him have a bad experience that'll scar him.
Yeah, a flat buckle collar is good for now. You want to wait a few months before you use a training collar.

When he starts to pull, you need to stop walking and wait it out. Again you are looking for the exact moment that he sits etc... then you continue the walk. You may take 20 minuets to make it out of the driveway, but that is 20 minuets well spent when considering you'll have a great friend for the next 15 years!

Remember one thing though, it's less about the tools then it is about the person using them. When working with him, you need to be in the right mindset. That means you have to be, to steal from Cesar Millan, calm and assertive. The moment you start to get frustrated, end the session ASAP and take your focus off of the dog. When you get frustrated everything you do will no effect besides exciting your dog and further frustrating you.

Since he you did get him at that young age, you do have a little bit of an up hill battle here, but if you are able to relax and work though it (it seems that you are) you'll have a great reward waiting for you in a true friend!