View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 23:19   #543
johnny00

Hi Blinky,

I was hoping you could share some of your wisdom with a recent rescue dog I saved. He’s a 7yr old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever…whew! I’ve had him for about 3 days now.

Here’s a little background on him. He was dropped off at a local rescue recently after spending his whole life w/ the same family. A couple kids aged 5-13 and a couple cats. He was garaged for almost 8-10 hours a day with no interaction. He had free roam of the garage. He was given up because the parents just didn’t have enough time for him. He has been to obedience school and is very smart according to his previous trainers and the rescue. Knows 10-12 commands, good on a leash, doesn’t chew (even his toys), etc.

My problem is that he constantly whines/whimpers. Now, from what I was told from the rescue that had him for about a week is that he whines when he needs/wants something. He also understand the command “quiet”, but stops for a few seconds, then commences to whine again.

I’m sure it doesn’t help that he is in his third home in less than a week and was literally dropped off by his previous owners. There’s probably a ton of anxiety and stress being in a new place.

How should I approach this situation to ease his transition? Is there anything I can do? I am able to work from home, so I’m with him 24/7, but don’t want to leave him alone for fear something going wrong. He also has diarrhea, but that’s probably from being in new setting. He’s also vomited a few times. I have a cat as well and he’s good w/ cats….and my cat avoids him. There doesn’t seem to be a problem there.

Man, I need some sleep…..help a brother out!
johnny00 is offline   Reply With Quote