View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56   #537
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
Thanks for the reply.

She eats Iams. I thought that was supposed to be a good one?
Iams isn't the worst, but there are better foods out there. The quick test to look to see if a food is right or not, is to look at the ingredients. The things you want to avoid are lots of flour, wheat and corn. They are just filler ingredients and offer no nutritional value. If we look at comparable types of food from both companies you'll see what I mean. I'm just looking at the first few ingredients.

Iams Adult ProActive Health: Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken Fat ...

Iams Healthy Natural: Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley....

Blue Buffalo Large Breed All Natural: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal....

The ProActive is pretty much crap. Corn meal as the second ingredient means stay away.

I will say that the Iams Healthy Natural, isn't so bad, but I'd be willing to bet that you can buy a much better food for the same price. The red flags for me are the chicken by-product meal and the corn meal. By-products are all the things not fit for human consumption, no thank you. We already mentioned corn, so I won't go into that again.

Now, in all fairness,the oatmeal in the Blue Buffalo isn't really going to do anything for the dog, but since it's not one of the first three ingredients, It's not going to make a huge difference. It's the chicken, chicken meal (not by-product) and the rice that are going to have the biggest positive impact on the dog.

There are plenty of great foods out there besides Blue Buffalo also, you just need to know what to look for. Don't be discouraged by the price either, with a high quality food you won't need to feed the dog as much.

Last edited by Blinky; 05-02-2009 at 11:46.. Reason: friggin typos...
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote