View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41   #524
RioKid

I was given my first .22 rifle when I was 8 or 9 y.o. I grew up around guns all my life so there is no defining moment as to when I decided having a gun with me was a good idea. In the 50's and 60's in the rural areas where we lived it was common for folks, even youngsters, to have a gun with them. This was not for SD but was just the way it was. Seems like every pickup truck had a gun rack in the back glass and a handgun on the dash or in the glove box. When I was a junior in HS we put on a play with an Old West theme. Guess what? About a dozen of the actors were outfitted with real gunslinger outfits and real guns........in the school house..... for several weeks as we practiced and promoted the play.

I bought my first handgun when I was 18 or 19 y.o. and had it with me everywhere I went. A fella just never new when he might need to dispose of some varmint such as a snake or a skunk.

I have always carried a handgun with me on long trips and out of ignorance of the laws, I may have done this illegally in some places. If asked about it now I would have to say that I have no recollection of ever having done such a dreadful thing.

I find it distasteful that I have to have a "permit" to do what is my right and what, until just a few years ago, was the norm for a lot of people. That being said, when concealed carry was passed in our state I was one of the first to get one and will always carry
John 3:16
RioKid is offline   Reply With Quote