View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 12:34   #162
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless View Post
half the weight.. yes, but you should try shooting both and compare the damage.

I have a 22LR rifle and 17 hmr rifle. All using hallow points and the 17 HMR does a lot more damage. I remember shooting a fox squirrel in the torso and took it in half... The 22LR is a lot weaker compared to the 17 hmr. check out the videos on youtube.com. You will see the 17 hmr tearing up small games like nothing.. it's actually an overkill for small games. I can easily take out foxes and coyotes with it too. Shoot a deer in the head and it will be a goner...

Some people argued with me that a 17hmr cannot kill a person effectively... Sure, maybe not, but i'm pretty positive a shot to the head will do it... the 17 hmr rifle is scary accurate..if it fails, i have my glock 27 and 12 guage 00 buck shot..

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS
22 LR = 1000-1200 FPS, i believe..
.17 HMR does 2,550 fps from a rifle. But from a short handgun barrel does much less. Down around 1,000 fps IIRC. NAA used to have some ballistics data up on their web site, but it looks like they don't make the .17 Mini's anymore.

.22 LR drops down to about 700 fps from a short handgun barrel.

But the .22 bullet weighs more than twice the .17 HMR and will penetrate much deeper.

Out of a short barreled handgun I'll take a .22 LR over a .17 HMR any day.

Out of a rifle I'll take the .17 HMR over the .22 LR and .22 mag.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote