View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 20:14   #154
bamarammin87
h8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless View Post
half the weight.. yes, but you should try shooting both and compare the damage.

I have a 22LR rifle and 17 hmr rifle. All using hallow points and the 17 HMR does a lot more damage. I remember shooting a fox squirrel in the torso and took it in half... The 22LR is a lot weaker compared to the 17 hmr. check out the videos on youtube.com. You will see the 17 hmr tearing up small games like nothing.. it's actually an overkill for small games. I can easily take out foxes and coyotes with it too. Shoot a deer in the head and it will be a goner...

Some people argued with me that a 17hmr cannot kill a person effectively... Sure, maybe not, but i'm pretty positive a shot to the head will do it... the 17 hmr rifle is scary accurate..if it fails, i have my glock 27 and 12 guage 00 buck shot..

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS
22 LR = 1000-1200 FPS, i believe..

i know the facts on it, just don't know about the people. My savage 93r-17 is my favorite rifle (after my AK) and I have shot SEVERAL coyotes and quite a few squirells, and a couple possums with it, and steel plating too. I believe the standard load is 2550 fps from hornady too btw. I just don't know how well it'd do thru clothing and in a person. It just about shot thru plating tho! I love that cartridge. Its too much for shooting squirrels tho if you dn't hit them in the head. It blows their legs off sometimes, and leaves the bottm half of their body hanging by a thread. I like the hollowpoints even better tho, I gotta find my pics of the damage it does to coyotes, because I always hit them in the neck. I'm sure it would kill a person, just don't know its effectiveness on people compared to a .22. Most criminals and thugs don't know what a .17 is
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote