View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:21   #463
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2golf View Post
My "moment" happened due to a lot of errors on my part. It encouraged me to make sure that I don't find myself in that situation again, and carrying a gun is one part of the overall learning experience.

Late at night. In a city. After about 3 or 4 beers. Took a short cut, off the main drag, through a parking lot. The area is full of panhandlers, and when this guy walked up, I assumed he was just another guy asking for money. He wasn't asking. Afterwards, as he walked away, I realized he had another guy standing in the shadows off to the side. I know... it sounds like a list of what not to do, but that's the sad truth.

Afterwards, I decided to take some steps to make sure I didn't find myself in that situation again. I got my concealed carry permit. I also took a training course. Which made me realize I needed more. I took several more classes and continue to do so. I also have learned a lot from this website and others.

How would I have used my gun in that specific situation? In that situation, if I had a gun and tried to use it, the guy with the gun in my face would have shot me. If I tried to throw down a wallet and distract him, the guy I didn't see till later would have shot me.

The thing I've learned is that situational awareness is the only thing that would have prevented this one. Don't go to that location. Don't have too much to drink and allow it to compromise your safety. Don't allow someone to get that close. Be aware of your surroundings and see him coming first. The list goes on and on. The difference in my life is that now I try to be aware at all times. It's a habit that you really have to work on but it's kind of fun after a while. Instead of feeling paranoid, I feel more relaxed. Hope situational awareness is the only part of the gun training I'll ever need!
Thanks, joe2golf, for responding to certifiedfunds's query.

When I first read certifiedfunds's post on 10/31, I wanted to respond, but my comment would've been based on 2 big assumptions: 1) that joe2golf wasn't saying that a gun would've saved him; and 2) that certifiedfunds was assuming that joe2golf was saying just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennwj View Post
There really was no defining moment, but I had a close call against a crazy guy in a Wal-Mart parking lot. He was in hospital scrubs, dirty and screaming with a broken walking stick in his hand.

I had another incident where a guy got out of his car at a light and came to the drives side of my truck and tried to open the door. He got a nice view of my Wilson CQB compact....the business end. He was pissed because he was trying to force his way into traffic and I "cut him off". I called the police and gave them his plate number, but they never contacted me.

I'm glad the door was locked and he was unable to open the door before I was able to unholster. He would have likely been shot.
Well done, bennwj. What a great thread this has turned out to be!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Wasatch; 11-04-2008 at 15:27..
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote