View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 09:14   #268
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
My newest purchase. The furniture on this gun is probably the ugliest I have ever seen, and I probably paid too much for it, but it was for sale and I had the money.

I haven't verified what I was told, but I was told it was an American made receiver with a Romanian upper. I didn't know there was an American made receiver.
Romanian furniture typically looks like it was cut with a dull chainsaw. The good news is that it can be finished to look very nice. Not a problem. Easy to do.
The Kalashnikov Klub
If you want to keep it original, don't sand over the black stripe on the buttstock, or repaint it after you have finished.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Yes, it probably is an American receiver. There are a couple of companies that have been making receivers in the US for years. Look around the gun, either on the left side or underneath in front of the mag well for the name of the receiver manufacturer. My guess would be an NDS3 by DCI.

Your gun appears to be a Romanian G-kit, although I can't be sure without you telling me about any markings, on a US receiver with the correct number of 922r compliance parts. Those are probably a TAPCO FCG, maybe a gas piston, and a few others. It looks like your gun still has the original G-kit furniture, so be careful on compliance. Mine required a US magazine to stay legal, until I replaced the pistol grip nad slant brake with a US-made versions. I was then able to use foreign-made steel mags. Just watch your count.
Before:
The Kalashnikov Klub
After: (note I also replaced the standard front grip with the correct Romanian pistol grip). At least yours is already like that.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Does your gun have a big "G" stamped on the left side of the trunnion like this?
The Kalashnikov Klub
You must be an AR person since you refer to a Romanian "upper". In the AK world, there are no uppers, just the receiver and the other parts.

Overall, you got yourself a very nice rifle that will outlast you. I am curious how much you paid for it, but it doesn't matter as long as you are happy. Typical AKs like yours one year ago were running $350, now they are getting about $500.

Last edited by CarlosC; 10-27-2008 at 09:17..
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote