View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58   #59
KYMike
9mm Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
As a matter of fact, yes, I do. I will be carrying a gun - not all of them may be. I have been extensively trained and am an experienced firearms/close combat instructor - I doubt they are. I practice a lot - not all of them do, most probably. I will seize the initiative - denying it to them. I will seek and use cover - unless they have been well-trained (an unlikely probability), they may very well not.
This isn't personal, just an observation, but I would expect more from a tactical instructor. Underestimating your opponent is the surest way to lose a battle...and fast.

The arrogance shown in your post indicates you're living in a dream world. In a perfect world, maybe only some of your opponents will be armed, maybe you'll be better trained, maybe you'll have the first shot, and maybe you'll find cover. Then again, in a perfect world, you wouldn't be attacked in the first place. Statistically, armed robbers, carjackers, rapists, and kidnappers are more likely to have experience robbing, carjacking, raping, and kidnapping than a victim is to have experience defending themselves against such attacks, and experience is the best training.

So you need to plan on all of them being armed (better than you are), they'll have better skills, they'll get the drop on you, and they'll have cover and you won't. Plan for that, and you'll be all the more prepared when you do have cover and you do see them coming, but never assume, never get complacent, never think you're better than your opponent in any aspect. Respect wins battles, arrogance loses lives.

Short answer to the OP, yes, I feel undergunned with the snub, as I feel undergunned with ANY handgun. Do I carry the snub anyway...sure, lots of times. Only you can prevent forest fires, and only you can decide how much is enough to protect your family.

Niners Club- #0101, 1911 Club- #0101,
GT Ham Shack- #101, Snubbie Club- #101

Last edited by KYMike; 03-16-2008 at 09:25..
KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote