Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Best Concealed Carry Method For Glock 23 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538621)

GTwoThree 08-05-2014 17:57

Best Concealed Carry Method For Glock 23

New Glock 23 owner. New Glock Talk member. So, after lots of net research, and able to afford only one handgun, I settled on a Glock 23. I want to carry it, and I want to do so completely unnoticed. And, I want to carry it daily, during waken hours. My employer doesn't allow it's employees to carry firearms. I suspect many Glock owners are in this situation- but still carry. So, what is the best way to carry a Glock 23 completely unnoticed? I should add that I am required to wear shirts tucked in and a belt in my pants.:dunno:

xmanhockey7 08-05-2014 18:44

I've found the best way to carry unnoticed with a tucked in shirt and nice pants is a smart carry holster. Personally I find my G27 to be the biggest to carry and not print, but you should be able to get away it if your pants have enough room up front.

I will also say that people should obey employer rules and will point out I have never gone against employer policy regarding carry.

http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

GTwoThree 08-05-2014 19:10

[URL="http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=159291"]xmanhockey7[/URL]: Thank you for your response. It seems that I am frequently entering establishments that prohibit weapons. That kind of defeats the purpose of being licensed or permitted to carry a handgun. I have had a permit for 5 years, and my handgun has never become daily wear because it is prohibited by so many businesses. It seems it's time to make it daily wear. In Minnesota, businesses can request, demand, you leave their premises if you are found to be carrying a weapon. With no penalty so long as you leave when requested. Work, well, I can be terminated. Perhaps it's worth the risk to have a handgun become a constant daily wear item. If I expected to need a firearm someplace I visited today, I would stay away. It seems to me the purpose of having a concealed handgun is for the moment, as unlikely as that may be, that you least expect the need.

xmanhockey7 08-05-2014 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTwoThree (Post 21436999)
xmanhockey7: Thank you for your response. It seems that I am frequently entering establishments that prohibit weapons. That kind of defeats the purpose of being licensed or permitted to carry a handgun. I have had a permit for 5 years, and my handgun has never become daily wear because it is prohibited by so many businesses. It seems it's time to make it daily wear. In Minnesota, businesses can request, demand, you leave their premises if you are found to be carrying a weapon. With no penalty so long as you leave when requested. Work, well, I can be terminated. Perhaps it's worth the risk to have a handgun become a constant daily wear item. If I expected to need a firearm someplace I visited today, I would stay away. It seems to me the purpose of having a concealed handgun is for the moment, as unlikely as that may be, that you least expect the need.

I understand. Being a college student I end up leaving the house unarmed on a regular basis. The law does allow me to have it on campus, but if I had it on campus the school could still expel me. Not a risk I want to take to have a gun in my car that could be stolen.

cbird77 08-05-2014 19:34

G23 is a big jump to start everyday concealed carry at work with a tucked in shirt. I would save a lil change and find an LCP, or the like and just pocket carry. If you can find a comfortable way to carry a G23 props to you. As Xmanhockey said, your best bet is the smart carry rig or a tuckable IWB.

With that said the G23 is a fine all around firearm, congrats!!

Mr.Wolf 08-05-2014 20:22

My Glock 19 disappears in a Galco Kingtuk worn at 3:30 position. :whistling:

ChiefWPD 08-05-2014 20:42

You are wishing to conceal a service size handgun that must (absolutely must) never be seen by anyone around you while working. That will be virtually impossible to pull off.

I realize you wrote that it is the only firearm you can afford now, so this next bit of advice may be of limited utility. If you wish to carry a sidearm that will not be visible then the handgun will, by default, need to be of a much smaller size than your G23. I'd think something along the lines of a Ruger LCP or similar size handgun, carried in the strong side pocket in a good pocket holster.

Best of luck.

BrentC 08-05-2014 21:54

I wore a G23 in a Galco Kingtuck but people kept asking about the metal clips. I then bought a Crossbreed with Velcro clips and a belt with Velcro lining. No one notices a thing.

vafish 08-06-2014 05:56

MIC at appendix position is what I use in the OPs situation.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Bren 08-06-2014 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTwoThree (Post 21436783)
So, what is the best way to carry a Glock 23 completely unnoticed? I should add that I am required to wear shirts tucked in and a belt in my pants.:dunno:

Carry it in a holster - 90% of people won't notice it. Wear a shirt that covers it and 99.9 % of the rest won't notice it. Don't use an ankle holster, it's too big. IWB is the easiest to conceal.

allegro 08-06-2014 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 21437925)
Carry it in a holster - 90% of people won't notice it. Wear a shirt that covers it and 99.9 % of the rest won't notice it. Don't use an ankle holster, it's too big. IWB is the easiest to conceal.

I agree !!

I have used a Fobus paddle-style at 3'o clock for nearly 15 years. Summer is a challenge, but a simple untucked shirt is a great cover.

I also wear my iphone at the 2'o clock position so from the front you see the printing of the phone and never the G23.

With minimal planning, you can do this and do so very well.

9mmsrock 08-06-2014 20:10

I am in the same situation as the OP. I've ended up with the Smart Carry for my G26 and spare 10 round mag. Conceals completely and I mean completely. I will also add it allows great freedom of movement and is comfortable. Smart Carry has a 60 day trial period so if you don't like it after almost 2 months send it back for a refund.

www.smartcarry.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

fxstchewy 08-08-2014 05:02

I have carried my G26 for a few years in a Fobus holster, works fine and what i like about it is i can disarm when i have to go into a "Gun Friendly Zone :whistling:" and not have to take the gun out of the holster. the same Fobus works just as well for a G23, I also have a bag FULL of more expense holsters but two that i use the most is the Fobus and also the the Glock sport holster which conceals very well too.

vafish 08-08-2014 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by allegro (Post 21439901)
I agree !!

I have used a Fobus paddle-style at 3'o clock for nearly 15 years. Summer is a challenge, but a simple untucked shirt is a great cover.

I also wear my iphone at the 2'o clock position so from the front you see the printing of the phone and never the G23.

With minimal planning, you can do this and do so very well.

Except the OP says he has to wear a tucked in shirt ay work.

Which means he needs some sort of tuckable holster, or something like Thunderwear (are they still in business?)

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

fxstchewy 08-08-2014 11:24

In that case a Alabama Hooker.

9mmsrock 08-08-2014 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxstchewy (Post 21444167)
In that case a Alabama Hooker.

Great holster but still has a visible clip. If the OP is like me I have to have one that is 100% concealed. I've been wearing Remora but there is a hump which I can cover with a phone clip/holster. I tried the Smart Carry holster and it does the job. Nobody can tell I'm carrying. BTW I EDC a G26 and a spare 10 round mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

kriegbubby 08-11-2014 17:14

Use a N82 PROFESSIONAL TACTICAL HOLSTER for my G23 works perfect

Mil-Pro 08-13-2014 08:43

G23 will be hard to conceal while working if anyone detects a bulge or sees clips, you may pay w/your job. I have a S&W 642 that is completely concealable and can be easily and comfortably hidden. A pocket holster is excellent for complete concealment. I would never sell or trade your Glock over this issue, but before carrying at work, I would save money toward a small semi-auto or revolver.

ithaca_deerslayer 08-13-2014 09:31

Some sort of belly band, or internal belt with an internal holster.

Those can be worn at 2 to 5 o'clock like most people wear regular IWB. And the grip can be above your beltline.

They can also be worn in the submerged junk position, but I personally don't prefer that.

PaulMason 08-13-2014 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbird77 (Post 21437098)
G23 is a big jump to start everyday concealed carry at work with a tucked in shirt. I would save a lil change and find an LCP, or the like and just pocket carry. If you can find a comfortable way to carry a G23 props to you. As Xmanhockey said, your best bet is the smart carry rig or a tuckable IWB.

With that said the G23 is a fine all around firearm, congrats!!

I have to agree - my selection process was:

Reliable gun
weight/size that I will carry it
shoot it accurately
number of rounds
caliber

When I went through that list I went with the S&W bodyguard 380