Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   A real lightning strike, or just dramatic? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519929)

Jade Falcon 02-17-2014 02:34

A real lightning strike, or just dramatic?

I can't tell if these guys were actually hit by the lightning, or if many of them are just acting dramatic?

I have no doubt a close strike would knock you on your ass, but surely you'd be able to get back up? Mind you, I've never been less than a 1/4 mile away from a lightning strike, so I can't speak personally on the issue.

Perhaps some of you who have had close strikes near you can shed some light on this issue. is it like a flash-bang grenade?

Batesmotel 02-17-2014 03:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Falcon (Post 21017157)
but surely you'd be able to get back up?

No.

Lightning hit my house. I was inside sitting on the sofa next to the wall that was hit. My arm was touching the wall.

I spasmed and balled up like I had been gut punched. The arm that was touching the wall was almost useless for several minutes. And I got a fraction of the shock people receive if they are standing on the ground. No moisture in the wall to conduct the electricity.

Jade Falcon 02-17-2014 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batesmotel (Post 21017167)
No.

Lightning hit my house. I was inside sitting on the sofa next to the wall that was hit. My arm was touching the wall.

I spasmed and balled up like I had been gut punched. The arm that was touching the wall was almost useless for several minutes. And I got a fraction of the shock people receive if they are standing on the ground. No moisture in the wall to conduct the electricity.

Wow! Glad you're okay! I guess when Zeus gets pissed, nobody's safe!

SouthernFlyer 02-17-2014 04:35

I hate lightning, funny because i live in the lightning capitol of the world, Tampa. Have had a few close calls over the years.

Once i was at a friends who was out of town bottle feeding a young philly in a small pasture. Lightning hit a huge tree in the pasture about a hundred feet up and a hundred feet from where i was standing. Brilliant flash of light and an instantaneous boom that i could feel the shockwave from. I left quickly.

A few years ago i was awakened in the middle of the night by a huge boom that shook the walls. The next morning i figured out that lightning had hit the big oak tree about 15ft from the exterior wall of my bedroom. The lightning traveled down the tree and through my cable line. Burned out two splitters, cable box, cable modem, and three tv's. All were connected to surge protectors, but the cable lines were not protected.

Also had lightning strike a tree next to the road as i was driving by, maybe 30ft away. Scary.

Never fell down and rolled around on the ground like in the video. But i was never actually hit.

I hate lightning.

frank4570 02-17-2014 05:00

Lightning hit the water near where I was fishing. I don't know how long me and my friend lay unconscious on the bank. But we were in kind of bad shape when we finally woke up.

cpgor 02-17-2014 08:08

Check out the power of a strike

http://www.grindtv.com/lifestyle/cul...curity-camera/

Jade Falcon 02-17-2014 08:17

This guy is LUCKY! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I guess lightning really does strike twice...:shocked:

Anyone else here have any lightning stories?

Santa CruZin 02-17-2014 08:20

A lightning bolt hit a pole about 50 feet from me in a parking lot. When it's that close, it gets your attention. I didn't know which way to head for cover - I could just see God up there looking through his scoped lightning rifle saying softly under his breath, "next time I'm gonna lead you just a little more..." But seriously, it was wasn't a thunderous rolling boom, but more of a very sharp CRACK sound and crazy bright. I didn't take any sort of hit from it. I did however get my ass back in the building I had walked out of.

Kevinr20 02-17-2014 08:22

Back in the mid 90's, My great aunt and uncle were hit by lightning while walking through an open pasture area in Ohio. My uncle died instantly and my aunt was thrown some yards back and was injured pretty badly but survived. She needed plastic surgery to repair damage to her face.

Lone_Wolfe 02-17-2014 08:24

A friend of mine was killed by a lightning strike. It basically 'cooked' his insides instantly.

Kevinr20 02-17-2014 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Falcon (Post 21017411)
This guy is LUCKY! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I guess lightning really does strike twice...:shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14e9Fwxa8w

Anyone else here have any lightning stories?

I have a feeling that video is fake.

Jade Falcon 02-17-2014 08:37

Kevin and LW, I am very sorry for your losses! That is awful. I guess it's definitely worth it to seek shelter during a thunderstorm! I can see why outside sporting venues get delayed when lightning passes through.

Many years ago, when I was 12, my mother and I were watching a lightning storm pass through. She said something about the lightning getting close, and how she wanted me to stay in the garage. Well, being a 12 year old know-it-all, I tried to convince her that it was safe outside by running out into our cul-de-sac and holding up a metal baseball bat with one hand.

Needless to say: my mother was NOT amused. She dragged me into the garage, and proceeded to chew me out (I thought she was going to spank me; I would have deserved it). I've never heard the woman yell so loudly. Indeed, it was not my finest hour. I'm glad I wasn't killed.

Jade Falcon 02-17-2014 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinr20 (Post 21017437)

Sure looks real to me! Look at the burn on the ground the first time he's struck.

If it is fake, it's very well done.

TK-421 02-17-2014 09:25

Lightning can be dangerous. Back in 1998 there was a bolt of lightning that killed an entire team.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/li...m-1181336.html

Reddit says it's because the one team had metal cleats which attracted the lightning and caused a ground, and the other team had plastic cleats that didn't ground.

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearne...n_the_congo_a/

Cybercowboy 02-17-2014 09:37

I was swimming in a lake when lightning struck the water about 50 yards from us. I imagine I now know what it feels like to get tasered. Fortunately we were all OK and able to swim to shore after a minute or so. For that first minute it was all I could do to keep my head above water while my arms and legs spasmed.

Before that I was at my parent's house back in the mid-70's, standing on the front porch watching a storm, when lightning hit our well, which was about 10 feet from where I was standing. It was also close to a big hickory tree. I was knocked off my feet from the concussion of the thing, and felt like crap for the rest of the day. My brother and sisters were about 10 feet away from me but inside the house, in the living room, and they were dazed for awhile too.

Kevinr20 02-17-2014 09:40

There's an episode of "River Monsters" where the soundman gets hit by lightning while in a small boat on a river while the crew was waiting out the storm.

Cybercowboy 02-17-2014 09:44

Oh, I forgot to mention that our living room windows were all blown in from the concussion of that strike. Three big windows, totally smashed, but thankfully the curtains were closed so that contained the flying glass pretty well. My siblings would have been pelted with glass otherwise. Amazing the power of that thunderclap at close range.

686Owner 02-17-2014 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinr20 (Post 21017437)

Very fake.

686Owner 02-17-2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Falcon (Post 21017459)
Sure looks real to me! Look at the burn on the ground the first time he's struck.

If it is fake, it's very well done.

No evidence of rain or a thunderstorm (no wind in the trees etc). Only a couple people walking with umbrellas. There are exactly 2 lightning flashes and they both happen on camera. And it didm''t overexpose the camera at all. A camera with the proper exposure for a dark environment, perfectly exposes the lightening bolt without blowing out the rest of the picture.

TK-421 02-17-2014 10:21

It's also interesting when you realize how well a lightning bolt will overload some electronics.

I used to work at a gas station, and I want to say there was like 50 feet between the pumps and the front door. We had a bolt of lightning strike the ground between the pumps and the front door, and it blew some fuses in every single pump, and basically shut us down. The power flickered, almost went out entirely, and there were lots of alarms telling us that every single pump was down for good, with no hopes of restarting them.

People were pissed they couldn't get gas, and it took about two days to get the pumps back up and running again.

Sure was fun being the cashier and having to explain over and over again that a bolt of lightning disabled the pumps and I don't know when they'll be fixed.