Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What should I do??? (my friends are anti-gun) (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518846)

serve_and_protect 02-06-2014 20:55

What should I do??? (my friends are anti-gun)

Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum section. I looked at the other forum sections, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

Here is my problem: I live in Northern Virginia. Virginia is pro-gun, but many people in NoVa are from other states, and aren't comfortable around firearms (including my closest friends).

I have only been a gun owner for less than a year, and when I started buying guns, I didn't think it would be an issue.

In fact, I didn't even mention to my friends that I am a gun owner, since I feel that it is a non-issue.

Recently, I was hanging out with my friends and the issue of guns came up, and I mentioned that I'm a gun owner.

I was really surprised that my friends reacted with concern, as if finding out that I own guns is scary, or frightening.

One of my friends said that she thinks that "no one should be allowed to own guns," and my other friends seem to be frightened of the fact that I own guns. Another of my friends said that only the police should be allowed to have guns.

These are my closest friends, and I really care about them, so I am not going to stop being friends with them. They are also part of my church community, so we spend a lot of time together.

But since finding out that I own guns, one of my friends said he doesn't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of the guns. Some of my other friends haven't said that (at least not yet), but they don't want to hang out at my apartment, since there are guns there (in my gun safe).

I was planning on being room mates with one of these friends, but now I know that he is very uncomfortable around firearms, even if they are locked up.

I don't want to upset my friends, but I also feel that I should be able to own guns, since it is a constitutional right.

But my friends don't see it that way. One of my friends said that he never wants to own a gun, and that I don't need guns either.

I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).

I have tried explaining to my friends about how gun ownership is an important constitutional right, and how guns are a useful tool for self-defense, but they listen to what I'm saying, and tell me that they still disagree with me.

They are practically appalled at the idea of owning guns for self-defense.

They also seem horrified that I own "more than one gun," and they feel that owning multiple guns is especially concerning.

I have tried mentioning all the pro-gun explanations I can think of (examples of self-defense from the news, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", "guns save lives", etc).

But my friends still disagree with me, and keep telling me that I need to get rid of my guns.

I love my friends, and I don't want my gun ownership to upset them.

But at the same time, I also consider my 2nd Amendment rights to be important. I don't want to sell my guns.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

What should I do?

elsolo 02-06-2014 21:01

If your friends are so irrational, then try not to concern yourself too much with their unfounded fears.

concretefuzzynuts 02-06-2014 21:08

Your friends are the ones ruining my beautiful Commonwealth of Virginia.

The best thing you can do is to keep your principals and guns, be patient and kind, show them that you are a normal person (assuming that you are) and if they choose to dismiss you as a friend- it's their loss.

Northern Virginia and Eastern Maryland are victims of an over reaching government.

rolltide_pisco 02-06-2014 21:08

If they don't respect you for what you believe in, they're not your friends. Sometimes you have to cut loose people.

You can make new friends who respect your views.

faceplant 02-06-2014 21:11

They have given you the choice. Give up our guns or give up their friendship. If me I'd say FU and find new friends.

as400guy1 02-06-2014 21:12

They don't seem to be respectful of your views. Some "friends".

Sent from my Interositor

GRR 02-06-2014 21:12

Apparently you care more about them than they do about you. Friends?

janice6 02-06-2014 21:13

You can hold to your principles and see if they still accept you, or get new friends. You have no other choices.

“Always stand on principle....even if you stand alone.”
John Adams

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits."
-Mark Twain

"Those who do not wield swords can still die upon them." -Eowyn

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

“…..the right to keep and bear arms can claim an ancestry stretching for well over a millennium. The antiquity of the right is so great that it is all but impossible to document its actual beginning. It is fairly clear that its origin lay in the customs of Germanic tribes, under which arms bearing was a right and a duty of free men; in fact, the ceremony for giving freedom to a slave required that the former slave be presented with the armament of a free man.”

www.guncite.com/journals/senrpt/senhardy.html

Good Luck.

THEPOPE 02-06-2014 21:14

My friends and I may have an opinion, and converse the subject, discussion and commentary is good....we don't have to agree, as long as we respect each others limitations.

BUT if one of them mentioned an ultimatum concerning 'friends OR the guns', well...

Buh-bye, now....

I am out....bang a gong...:cool:

Geeorge 02-06-2014 21:17

A 2 post troll

:whistling:

Dukeboy01 02-06-2014 21:19

Give them time to quit spazzing out. Probably there's at least one in the group who's at least curious. Bide your time and let them bring the subject up again, preferably when you're in a one- on- one situation away from the more hysterical anti- gun ones. Offer to take them shooting. Before you know it, you'll make a convert.

itstime 02-06-2014 21:20

I think you like them more than they like you. A true friend respects your opinions, beliefs and views. They don't have to agree with them but accept you for "the friend" you are.

Dave514 02-06-2014 21:22

You are good exposure for them.

Huaco Kid 02-06-2014 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by serve_and_protect (Post 20989760)
What should I do?

Shoot them a little.

*ASH* 02-06-2014 21:26

smelling troll but if serious get new friends . live on

concretefuzzynuts 02-06-2014 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geeorge (Post 20989827)
A 2 post troll

:whistling:

My first thought. But then, what harm could it do to answer.

eaglefrq 02-06-2014 21:27

It appears that your friends want to be friends on their terms and your opinions and feelings don't mean anything to them. I would continue to be friendly with them and if they make the decision to terminate the friendship then it is their loss.

From the sounds of it though, it is a lost cause. Unfortunately, they sound like the typical anti-gun person who will not listen. They accept what fits their agenda and reject everything else and no amount of reasoning will work.

Green Mountain Boy 02-06-2014 21:28

New friends are in order.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

*ASH* 02-06-2014 21:29

also in general conversation tell em you are for abortions ,and you smoke hash . then see what their answers are .
and do they hate possums , and or smoke in rental cars , or get mad when something expensives comes in card board box , or they take rusty pliers back to sears

concretefuzzynuts 02-06-2014 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ASH* (Post 20989869)
also in general conversation tell em you are for abortions ,and you smoke hash . then see what their answers are .

Tell them you're anti-abortion and smoke hash. Then watch their heads spin.