Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Odd Knowledge and Obscure Facts (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517538)

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 11:06

Odd Knowledge and Obscure Facts
 
I keep finding out things I never knew before. Some are interesting, some I wish I didn't know. Here is one, as an example.

Interesting
In ancient times, when being attacked by war elephants, pigs were used to break up the attack. The elephants were distressed by their squealing and so they would break formation and run.

Wish I didn't know
They also used flaming pigs as catapult loads, where the pigs on fire would be sent over the walls to start interior fires on the wooden structures.

What can you share with me to amaze and amuse?

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 11:18

Before the days of paper money, Americans traded animal skins, including deer and elk bucks, for goods and services. Hence the word "buck" to describe money.

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 11:31

The Ka-Bar Knife (pronounced "KAY BAR"), revered combat knife of the United States Marine Corps got its name thanks to a testimonial letter sent to the company by a fur trapper in the 1920s. The trapper wrote, in very broken English, that he used a Union Cutlery knife to kill a wounded bear after his gun jammed. All that was legible of his scrawled writing was k a bar. So honored were corporate executives that they used the phrase as their trademark, Ka-Bar. In 1952, the Ka-Bar name had achieved such fame that the company changed its name to Ka-Bar Cutlery.

The television series Bonanza was created specifically to provide a product for RCA's new color TV sets.

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's how many tries it took Norm Larsen, a chemist, to concoct a formula that would prevent corrosion by displacing water.

Major George Welch (USAF) was the first pilot to break the sound barrier. Welch was the chief test pilot of the F-86 and completed the flight at Muroc AFB, California on October 1st, 1949. He went supersonic a second time on October 14th, about thirty minutes before Chuck Yeager flew the X-1 through the sound barrier. Yeager got credit for it because the capabilities of the F-86 were kept classified until just recently.

Dave514 01-26-2014 11:38

You can't fit a cubic foot of dirt in a 5 gallon bucket.

A cubic foot of dirt is 7.48 gallons of dirt.

Mass10mm 01-26-2014 11:38

Reno, Nevada is further West than Los Angeles, CA.

If you were in Detroit, MI and started going south, the first foreign country you would encounter is….. Canada.

In order to take the Panama canal from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea, you sail in a generally West direction!

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 11:39

The term "The whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards."

willie_pete 01-26-2014 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious (Post 20958302)
The term "The whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards."

The phrase presumably pre-dates WW II.

WP

VinnieD 01-26-2014 12:03

A shrimp's stomach is in its head.

A starfish has no brain.

Abraham Lincoln once when challenged to a duel and given the choice of weapons, chose broadswords. Due to his significantly greater height he had a massive reach advantage, causing his opponent to rethink his challenge.

Due to the natural decay of potassium, bananas are mildly radioactive.

You can tell the age of a clam by counting the rings. Some clams can live to be multiple centuries old.

Similar to skyscrapers in the US having no 13th floor, hospitals in Japan have no 4th floor, due to the Japanese word for four being "shi" which is similar to "shini" meaning death.

The reason onions make you tear up is because the sulfur in onion juice mixes with tears to produce sulfuric acid, which your body is desperately trying to flush out.

A group of crows is called a murder.

A group of baboons is called a congress.

Next time you think humanity is boring, just remember that you are a ghost in a biological supercomputer piloting a robot made out of meat.

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 12:33

During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.


On April 29, 1961 a doctor named Leonid Rogozovof the 6th Soviet Antarctic expedition felt pain in a right lower belly and fever. Having no chance to call a plane and being the only doctor at the station “Novolazarevskaya”, at night, on April, 30th the surgeon removed his own appendix using local anesthesia. He was assisted by an engineer and the station’s meteorologist.

Dogs were used by the Soviet Union as anti-tank bombs during World War Two. Dogs were taught that food could been found under tracked vehicles. The dogs were kept hungry and with bombs attached, released to find approaching German tanks. A wooden lever would detonate the bomb on contact with the bottom of the tank. It was reported that over 300 German tanks were destroyed by anti-tank dogs.

It is physically impossible for you to lick your elbow. (go one, try it. I dare you!)

gwalchmai 01-26-2014 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious (Post 20958288)
Major George Welch (USAF) was the first pilot to break the sound barrier. Welch was the chief test pilot of the F-86 and completed the flight at Muroc AFB, California on October 1st, 1949. He went supersonic a second time on October 14th, about thirty minutes before Chuck Yeager flew the X-1 through the sound barrier. Yeager got credit for it because the capabilities of the F-86 were kept classified until just recently.

< cough > 1947 < cough >

Welch, along with Ken Taylor, was nominated for the MoH at Pearl Harbor for shooting down three Japanese planes. They were awarded the DSC instead because they were not at their post when the attack began. Welch died test-piloting an F-100.

2bgop 01-26-2014 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious (Post 20958431)
During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.


On April 29, 1961 a doctor named Leonid Rogozovof the 6th Soviet Antarctic expedition felt pain in a right lower belly and fever. Having no chance to call a plane and being the only doctor at the station “Novolazarevskaya”, at night, on April, 30th the surgeon removed his own appendix using local anesthesia. He was assisted by an engineer and the station’s meteorologist.

Dogs were used by the Soviet Union as anti-tank bombs during World War Two. Dogs were taught that food could been found under tracked vehicles. The dogs were kept hungry and with bombs attached, released to find approaching German tanks. A wooden lever would detonate the bomb on contact with the bottom of the tank. It was reported that over 300 German tanks were destroyed by anti-tank dogs.

It is physically impossible for you to lick your elbow. (go one, try it. I dare you!)

That is absolutely not true.

walt cowan 01-26-2014 12:50

you can't eat 7 salteen crackers in under 1 min..

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bgop (Post 20958457)
That is absolutely not true.

OK so I take it you tried and CAN? :wow:

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 12:54

In 1980 16 stranded and frozen Danish fishermen were rescued and after being given a warm drink all 16 dropped dead from constricted capillaries reopening almost all at once, causing a sudden drop in blood pressure.

If you pour cold water into a person’s ear, their eyes will move in direction of the opposite ear, if you pour warm water into their ear, their eyes will move towards that ear. This is used to test for brain damage and is called ‘caloric stimulation’.

"a man a plan a canal panama" spelled backwards is still "a man a plan a canal panama"

gwalchmai 01-26-2014 12:57

In 1942's "The Pride of the Yankees", Babe Ruth was played by Babe Ruth.

Michael Rye 01-26-2014 12:59

In 1977, Herve Villechaize sued Ricardo Montalban....in small claims court...in Des Plaines, IL!

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 13:18

The pilot of a FedEx cargo plane flew his DC-10 upside down while the flight engineer was trying to hijack the plane and fighting the co-pilot in the cargo hold


The playing card company ‘Bicycle’ manufactured a playing card during World War 2 that, when the card was soaked, would reveal an escape route for POWs. These cards were Christmas presents for all POWs in Germany.

The correct response to the Irish greeting, "Top of the morning to you," is "and the rest of the day to yourself."

A man spent 3 years designing and creating “the perfect city’ using Sim City 3000. The city, named Magnasanti had the game’s maximum population of 6 million, no crime and no pollution.

The 'vintage date' on a bottle of wine indicates the year the grapes were picked, not the year of bottling!

2bgop 01-26-2014 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious (Post 20958486)
OK so I take it you tried and CAN? :wow:

No, not me.

Batesmotel 01-26-2014 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie_pete (Post 20958317)
The phrase presumably pre-dates WW II.

WP

Correct. Many uses of the phrase in the 1800s. Mostly from the textile industry.

Marcus Unrealious 01-26-2014 14:50

The chances of you dying on the way to get your lottery tickets is greater than your chances of winning.

If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19.You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

In 1792 criminals saw they could make a good profit by filing shavings from the sides of gold and silver coins and selling the precious metal, which is why coins now have ridges on their sides


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.