Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Samsung shipped more phones than Nokia, Apple, LG combined (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507827)

TBO 10-29-2013 09:34

Samsung shipped more phones than Nokia, Apple, LG combined

Samsung shipped more phones than Nokia, Apple, LG combined

The Korean handset maker captured 29 percent of the global mobile phone market in the third quarter, says research firm Strategy Analytics.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576...e-lg-combined/
----------------------------------

There must be a lot of people who trade up to the next new thing just for the sake of it. Looking back at my SmartPhone use (starting with the Treo line) I've kept each one for 3+ years on average. I only replaced them when either they had issues, or the Gov plan (work phone) allowed an upgrade for either nothing or pennies. Still loving my Nexus 4 and don't plan on getting the Nexus 5.... with a caveat.

The wife has been making rumbles about getting her 1st smartphone. If that happens, yes, I will order a Nexus 5 as she will get my Nexus 4 to lose/misplace. :supergrin:

droidfire 10-29-2013 09:43

One of my hobbies is android programming, specifically on the kernel/hardware level. I enjoy the challenge and discovery of working with new equipment, so usually purchase new phones when they are brand new if I can't get a developers preview device.

I also have 4 lines, one on each of the major carriers, so defrays the cost of purchase some with more upgrades.

I don't own a single apple product.

My last 6 phones were (1) Samsung S4, (1) Samsung Note 2 (4) Samsung S3's

TBO 10-29-2013 09:46

I take it you are installing custom ROMs on most of your phones?

Deanster 10-29-2013 09:59

Yep, that's one place where Samsung's portfolio of 100's of phones from the most-basic flip phone up to the Galaxy series makes a big impact - they sell a lot of smart phones, and a LOT of dumb-phones around the globe.

Similar story with tablets - what's eating iPad's market share isn't Galaxy or Nexus tablets, but white-box, $90 Chinese-built Android tablets in the 'rest of the world'... where as long as they play internet videos, they're a 'good tablet'.

gommer 10-29-2013 10:06

Well, I got the Lumia 920 when it first came out.

The phone itself is fantastic, but Windows Phone 8 is terrible at best.

So as soon as I'm up for an upgrade, I'll be switching over to a Samsung. I'd prefer a Nokia with Android for the OS - but I'm mostly just looking to get away from Windows Phone 8 and have no desire to deal with a locked down iPhone again.

I think Samsung is capturing a lot of new business this way. Apple has made no real effort to keep their technology and features up to par with competition, instead opting to make their phone smaller and lighter -- which it would seem a lot of people don't care for. Myself included.

Nokia tanked because, well, Windows Phone 8 is terrible. Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 8 being a core of their problem. It's not unusable, it's just frustrating at some of it's lack of basic features - like a FORWARD BUTTON. FFS!

Then, there's the ever so obvious lack of apps on Windows Phone 8. Constantly you see things to download an app for a store, charity, etc and they all support Apple and Android -- but rarely do you see it available for Windows Phone 8.

The platform is just immature, and wrought with annoyances that there is no excuse for. Such as the inability to just close an app. Seriously? Yes, they're putting it out in a patch now. Too little, too late, Microsoft. You've already lost the wind from your sails!

So, I think a lot of those folks are moving over to Samsung because they don't have any interest in Apple's offering.

Me, personally, I like a tough phone. I've beat the crap out of my Nokia. Dropped it at least 50 times out of my truck - which is a good fall - probably close to four feet from seat to ground. Not a single crack in it. My oldest boy has the same phone -- he's managed to crack it but it took nothing short of a wrecking on a dirtbike to get that.

I'm a huge Nokia fan in terms of hardware, design, and features -- but their ignorance in the OS department is overwhelming. They tried their own OS - failed. Then went to another fail OS and I've got no doubt they're locked into some kind of contract with MS on that.

686Owner 10-29-2013 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanster (Post 20723477)
Yep, that's one place where Samsung's portfolio of 100's of phones from the most-basic flip phone up to the Galaxy series makes a big impact - they sell a lot of smart phones, and a LOT of dumb-phones around the globe.

Similar story with tablets - what's eating iPad's market share isn't Galaxy or Nexus tablets, but white-box, $90 Chinese-built Android tablets in the 'rest of the world'... where as long as they play internet videos, they're a 'good tablet'.

I don't think someone who pays $90 for a tablet was ever going to buy a $500 iPad anyway.

451050500 10-29-2013 10:26

I pay 30 a month for unlimited text and talk at@t. Best coverage I've ever had smart phone or not. I started with a xdroid then some goof I did biz with talked me into a iphone. Once I found out the capabilities a smart phone has to track and learn about each user I destroyed it, not to mention the 75-150 month plans. I actually made a scene at a store when an app some friend gave me made my phone notify me I should buy the honeycrisp apples the store i was in had on sale. Basically my phone knew where I was, what I was doing and what I liked and told me to go buy something I never told it I liked but I do. I turned it off threw it on the ground and smashed it with my boot, bear in mind this happened a few days after watching some film where the main character was being tracked by nsa hitmen through his phone. I picked it up and asked the onlookers if anyone wanted a iphone. No takers, and one lady was actually talking on her iphone almost making out with it she was so attached to it, had a look of disgust for me. For a second I felt like Roddy Piper in They Live, or when Ron Swanson finds out about internet tracking cookies. Anyway, burned it beyond recognition in a public firepit that night, more for a ritual experience to liberate myself from smartphones than to actually destroy it completely, and paid my get out early fee. When they asked why I was cancelling I told them privacy issues and she kind of chuckled as if she thought privacy was a silly thing, it took three transfers to get my contract canceled and everyone of them was a smug bastard, not the over happy chatterbox girl or indian speaking male one usually talks to. It's over and done either way.

I avoided cell phone use in public places as much as I could, even biz calls I would ignore unless I was in a private area. I think cell phones but particularly smart phones are status symbols to most their users, they are much like a wardrobe accessory like a gold chain or 2k leather jacket. For the few they are actual tools put to good use but most just use them to talk absolute nonsense. I bet 90% of all calls and texts are just meaningless chatter. Most of it coming from the tween and teen population, but adults as well. I once stood next to a 40 something old lady who had someone put her dog up to the phone so she could tell it she'd be home in awhile, I wanted to pull out my gun, seriously. I even heard an old man about 80 talking to someone about how to whittle, yes whittle, he was giving real-time advice about whittling. I've tried to eavesdrop on a few teen girls just to see what they talk about but most of them I can't even understand, they've taken the English language both voice and written and created some type of mutt language. If one takes a moment to look around in a area like a mall or downtown or whatever, you can just see how tech in this case phones are changing us. If we could see the signals traveling with our eyes, the waves and frequencies shooting through the air, the sky would be full. Some children, adults, pets are already chipped, willingly amazingly, it's only a matter of time until one can go to store and have a chip injected in them for communications and tracking, and in another matter of time maybe it will become mandatory. Singularity might not ever happen but we will get close to it. I'm ranting on, but you get a point or two. My main one being most people don't need smartphones, the name itself is almost a oxymoron when comparing it to most of the people who use them. Congrats to those who do not even have a cell phone of any kind, you are my hero.
How did you like this one TBO?

451050500 10-29-2013 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by droidfire (Post 20723436)
One of my hobbies is android programming, specifically on the kernel/hardware level. I enjoy the challenge and discovery of working with new equipment, so usually purchase new phones when they are brand new if I can't get a developers preview device.

I also have 4 lines, one on each of the major carriers, so defrays the cost of purchase some with more upgrades.

I don't own a single apple product.

My last 6 phones were (1) Samsung S4, (1) Samsung Note 2 (4) Samsung S3's

I imagine when they start handing out the chips you'll be one of the first in line. Enjoy.

Deanster 10-29-2013 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 686Owner (Post 20723503)
I don't think someone who pays $90 for a tablet was ever going to buy a $500 iPad anyway.

Exactly my point - but they're both included in 'global tablet market share' numbers. They're in an entirely different market segment, but when reports show iPad with 30% global market share, this is why. It still counts as an 'Android tablet sale', as it should.

But if you go into any coffee shop, airport or other public place in the US, it's surprising to see anything BUT iPads and the occasional Kindle.

Deanster 10-29-2013 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 451050500 (Post 20723540)
I pay 30 a month for unlimited text and talk at@t. Best coverage I've ever had smart phone or not. I started with a xdroid then some goof I did biz with talked me into a iphone. Once I found out the capabilities a smart phone has to track and learn about each user I destroyed it, not to mention the 75-150 month plans. I actually made a scene at a store when an app some friend gave me made my phone notify me I should buy the honeycrisp apples the store i was in had on sale. Basically my phone knew where I was, what I was doing and what I liked and told me to go buy something I never told it I liked but I do. I turned it off threw it on the ground and smashed it with my boot, bear in mind this happened a few days after watching some film where the main character was being tracked by nsa hitmen through his phone. I picked it up and asked the onlookers if anyone wanted a iphone. No takers, and one lady was actually talking on her iphone almost making out with it she was so attached to it, had a look of disgust for me. For a second I felt like Roddy Piper in They Live, or when Ron Swanson finds out about internet tracking cookies. Anyway, burned it beyond recognition in a public firepit that night, more for a ritual experience to liberate myself from smartphones than to actually destroy it completely, and paid my get out early fee. When they asked why I was cancelling I told them privacy issues and she kind of chuckled as if she thought privacy was a silly thing, it took three transfers to get my contract canceled and everyone of them was a smug bastard, not the over happy chatterbox girl or indian speaking male one usually talks to. It's over and done either way.

I avoided cell phone use in public places as much as I could, even biz calls I would ignore unless I was in a private area. I think cell phones but particularly smart phones are status symbols to most their users, they are much like a wardrobe accessory like a gold chain or 2k leather jacket. For the few they are actual tools put to good use but most just use them to talk absolute nonsense. I bet 90% of all calls and texts are just meaningless chatter. Most of it coming from the tween and teen population, but adults as well. I once stood next to a 40 something old lady who had someone put her dog up to the phone so she could tell it she'd be home in awhile, I wanted to pull out my gun, seriously. I even heard an old man about 80 talking to someone about how to whittle, yes whittle, he was giving real-time advice about whittling. I've tried to eavesdrop on a few teen girls just to see what they talk about but most of them I can't even understand, they've taken the English language both voice and written and created some type of mutt language. If one takes a moment to look around in a area like a mall or downtown or whatever, you can just see how tech in this case phones are changing us. If we could see the signals traveling with our eyes, the waves and frequencies shooting through the air, the sky would be full. Some children, adults, pets are already chipped, willingly amazingly, it's only a matter of time until one can go to store and have a chip injected in them for communications and tracking, and in another matter of time maybe it will become mandatory. Singularity might not ever happen but we will get close to it. I'm ranting on, but you get a point or two. My main one being most people don't need smartphones, the name itself is almost a oxymoron when comparing it to most of the people who use them. Congrats to those who do not even have a cell phone of any kind, you are my hero.

I would like to introduce you to a concept we call 'paragraphs'...

686Owner 10-29-2013 11:41

Quote:

Obvious troll is obvious.

harlenm 10-29-2013 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanster (Post 20723671)
I would like to introduce you to a concept we call 'paragraphs'...

plus he needs to get out of other peoples business. who cares if a woman wants to talk to her dog. i'm sure that people did that with their landlines 30 years ago. and someone teaching someone how to whittle over the phone seams like it could be perfectly normal.

people use their phones for what they see fit.

TBO 10-29-2013 12:12

Want to talk to your dog? There's an app for that. :rofl:

Gregg702 10-29-2013 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBO (Post 20723809)
Want to talk to your dog? There's an app for that. :rofl:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps621810be.jpg

Angry Fist 10-29-2013 13:04

Samsunger for life. F apple.

686Owner 10-29-2013 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry Fist (Post 20723943)
Samsunger for life. F apple.

I thought Apple users were the fanboys. lol. :rofl: :tongueout:

blastfact 10-29-2013 18:40

Droids are flying off the shelves around here.

buster55 10-29-2013 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 686Owner (Post 20723965)
I thought Apple users were the fanboys. lol. :rofl: :tongueout:

You are
You are the first to get into the apple / android debate
You are the apples brainwashed customer thinking because you own everything apple you are on a higher tier than android users.
I can buy anything I want with my "disposable income " apple users "have" you claim in your prior posts /any factual info that backs that up ????????????????????
My Galaxy Note 2 Will run circles around your old or new I Phone .
Grow up and have your software developers catch up.
:rofl:

Gregg702 10-29-2013 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by buster55 (Post 20724725)
You are
You are the apples brainwashed customer thinking because you own everything apple you are on a higher tier than android users.
I can buy anything I want with my "disposable income " apple users "have" you claim in your prior posts /any factual info that backs that up ????????????????????

The Note 3 is slower than the 5S, so I doubt your Note 2 is running circles around anything.

blastfact 10-29-2013 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregg702 (Post 20724785)
The Note 3 is slower than the 5S, so I doubt your Note 2 is running circles around anything.

You forget us driod users can root our devices. That opens up a whole world of geekdom apple folks never get to enjoy. We can do all sorts of stuff that keeps our devices current. Get right down to the nuts and bolts of our devices. I'd still have my old Infuse4 if it had not gone through the washing machine.

Gregg702 10-29-2013 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by blastfact (Post 20724843)
You forget us driod users can root our devices. That opens up a whole world of geekdom apple folks never get to enjoy. We can do all sorts of stuff that keeps our devices current. Get right down to the nuts and bolts of our devices. I'd still have my old Infuse4 if it had not gone through the washing machine.

But rooting doesn't change the fact that the 5S is currently the fastest smart phone on the market, and has the best integration of OS to the hardware, since Apple only has to worry about a few hardware sets working with iOS, versus hundreds of hardware sets with Android.

droidfire 10-29-2013 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBO (Post 20723445)
I take it you are installing custom ROMs on most of your phones?

Most is accurate. I only have one S4 - which isn't even rooted yet, life obligations are in the way of my playing with that one beyond taking advantage (finally) of the temp sensors.

The rest all run a custom ROM of my own making.

Generally once I start picking apart a new device I like to have two, so I can compare in real-time changes from one software version to another as I make alterations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 451050500 (Post 20723551)
I imagine when they start handing out the chips you'll be one of the first in line. Enjoy.

I rescind my comment from the pet thread, I would keep an animal for testing a chip.

For myself, no thanks.

The primary motivation on my coding endeavors is to ensure I know what data is going where when it leaves my device - not to keen on being spied on. Or potentially being spied on.

I'd like to know what digital tracks I am leaving behind and obfuscate or obliterate any and all identifiers. I don't run ad supported software, and don't do phone calls/texts/**** like that on a device that hasn't been rooted and locked down to my satisfaction.

I was pretty late to party with the whole smart phone bit, because I didn't like the idea of having a digital snoop in my hand all day. I started with a tablet that had no microphone or camera and stuck with it until I knew all I needed to in order to feel comfortable with taking control of those hardware components.

I still have every Android device I have ever owned, they all are in great working order and have a function in my digital life - nothing is going to waste on a shelf. These days I am far enough ahead of the game where I can get 'the new thing' without having to put it into service right away.

droidfire 10-29-2013 20:30

Quote:

I avoided cell phone use in public places as much as I could, even biz calls I would ignore unless I was in a private area. I think cell phones but particularly smart phones are status symbols to most their users, they are much like a wardrobe accessory like a gold chain or 2k leather jacket. For the few they are actual tools put to good use but most just use them to talk absolute nonsense. I bet 90% of all calls and texts are just meaningless chatter.

I can't believe I took the time to sort out at least some of your wall of wailing, but 'smart phone' is really a misnomer.

What you have is a pocket computer with an anywhere data connection. They grew out of the cellular network for telephones, but that thin thread still binding them is the priority rating the device gives to phone calls.

Generally I don't talk on the phone, if someone wants a conversation with me then they can find me, not too interested in speaking to some disembodied voice.

Not too much into texting either, because my average 'text message' reads like a short story.

Email I use a lot, internet usage, apps to perform specific (mostly job related) functions, I use CAD software more then anything else on the devices.

Being able to edit a .dwg blueprint to correct or otherwise change specs on-site from a device that weighs almost nothing and sits barely noticed in my pocket until needed.. It used to be the best I could do was a laptop/netbook for that, now I can do that kind of work without dragging an entourage of stuff behind me.

Inventory apps to keep track of things, handle .pdf files (make offline or read - also offline), the various office file formats (text, spreadsheet, database)...

...and a whole host of other specific functions you would need a real computer for if not for these awesomely capable pocket sized offerings. You can't do everything a computer can do (compiling complicated software code, for one) but a considerable share of computing tasks can be handled with the power in your pocket.

For me the phone concept is an afterthought, a barely used legacy function like an appendix is for the average human today.

686Owner 10-29-2013 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by buster55 (Post 20724725)
You are

I can't even decipher what this post is supposed to say, but obviously the first sentence is wrong since the post I quoted brought up Apple by saying "F Apple."

Angry Fist 10-30-2013 16:53

Jeez.... some of you guys!