Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Thumb safety (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507664)

97harley 10-27-2013 19:52

Thumb safety

Has anybody gotten a thumb safety installed? I've seen in gun mags back pages for about $120. The only reason I"m looking at it is for my nightstand gun. I don't wake up :shocked: but got to thinking, I have it within hands reach in condition 1 and wouldn't mind having to hit the safety. I shoot 1911's often so it's second nature.

Folsom_Prison 10-27-2013 20:04

I wouldn't and you'll find the general consensus here will agree. Just leave it in a quality holster, grab and go if necessary. If your used to a 1911 roll with that or if you want a hi capacity pistol with a safety, buy one already installed.

My .02 cents

tonyparson 10-27-2013 20:10

Here we go again. The search button is your friend. :popcorn:

Here you go.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1506744

skyboss_4evr 10-27-2013 22:11

Keep your nightstand GLOCK in a holster.

bac1023 10-27-2013 22:15

What is with these crazy threads lately? :faint:

I think some of you are are flat out nuts to consider cutting the frame to add an aftermarket safety. Buy the gun you need in the first place, don't ruin your Glock.

GlocksterPaulie 10-27-2013 22:17

If you are that worried about it sell the Glock and stick with the 1911's.

Paulie

Bren 10-27-2013 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97harley (Post 20719793)
Has anybody gotten a thumb safety installed? I've seen in gun mags back pages for about $120. The only reason I"m looking at it is for my nightstand gun. I don't wake up :shocked: but got to thinking, I have it within hands reach in condition 1 and wouldn't mind having to hit the safety. I shoot 1911's often so it's second nature.

There's the answer - put a 1911 on your night stand. If you are familiar with pone type of gun, that should be what you use in an emergency.

Steel Head 10-27-2013 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 20720106)
There's the answer - put a 1911 on your night stand. If you are familiar with pone type of gun, that should be what you use in an emergency.

Good advice.

Folsom_Prison 10-27-2013 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 20720100)
What is with these crazy threads lately? :faint:

I think some of you are are flat out nuts to consider cutting the frame to add an aftermarket safety. Buy the gun you need in the first place, don't ruin your Glock.

I don't get it either BAC, I thought school was back in session these kinda threads keep popping up. :faint:

JuneyBooney 10-28-2013 00:12

Are you going to carry it or just on the nightstand? I would just leave a round out of the chamber if you have kids and lock it up if necessary when not carried. Or buy an Hk with a safety/decicker.

TK-421 10-28-2013 00:26

If you want a safety, then get a gun with a safety. If you don't want a safety, then buy one that doesn't come with a safety.

97harley 10-28-2013 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuneyBooney (Post 20720193)
Are you going to carry it or just on the nightstand? I would just leave a round out of the chamber if you have kids and lock it up if necessary when not carried. Or buy an Hk with a safety/decicker.

My daughter is almost 18 and it's not her I'm concerned about. I keep the G21 for a nightstand gun and just got to thinking it might be nice to have a safety in case I go to grab something on the nightstand half asleep etc. I have a couple of Kahr's and a G19 that I carry regularly and wouldn't consider this for any of them. I shoot a 1911 in our weekly combat shoot at the range I belong to due to it's nicer trigger, single action etc. but don't use one as my EDC. I'm fairly new to the sport, about 18 months and was just asking for an opinion, lol :dunno:

F106 Fan 10-28-2013 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97harley (Post 20720310)
I'm fairly new to the sport, about 18 months and was just asking for an opinion, lol :dunno:

Please review the other thread we did last week (linked above). The subject tends to drift toward just plain nasty. You won't find a bit of support for the concept around here.

There are other guns that may be more appropriate for nightstand duty (in my opinion) like Sigs. The long double action pull on the first shot takes care of the "oops the safety is off" situation with a 1911 or the lack of a blocking safety on the Glocks.

I have 1911s, Sigs and Glocks but I have a G36 on my nightstand along with a spare mag.

And two defense dogs...

Here's another thought: It's your gun, if you want to install a manual safety, go for it. Don't expect to find any support for the idea and don't mention it on GT. Just get it done and be happy. So what if it lessens the value of your Glock? It's just a cheap beater gun. As to whether it damages the gun? Well, nightstand guns don't always get a very high round count.

Richard

SCmasterblaster 10-28-2013 07:44

Glocks and M1911A1s are two very different animals.

roadkill46 10-28-2013 07:57

i wouldn't as above. i am a pretty deep sleeper anymore..thanx VA for the meds...unfortunately. i switched from a G19 with TLRS-1 and CT's for my FN FNP USG 9mm with a Taclite, condition one, decocked. Great DA and SA on this gun, i have 2. The dogs would wake me up no doubt, but we have a Ranch/SW AZ type house w/o upstairs, only 2 doors, front and patio so i think gun selection 'could' be house dependant.

if you have a downstairs and wake up, you could shake off the cobwebs enough to either just p/u the Glock or thumb off the 1911 safety, or rack a slide on a condition 2 gun on the nightstand.

dogs and a good alarm system give you time to get your critical thinking involved. my granddaughter sleeps in the back room on the other side of the house so def gotta be careful and ID target before engaging. i would like to be fully awake for that!

go with the one with the manual safety in your case for sure. just my .03

oily_oink 10-28-2013 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97harley (Post 20719793)

Hey 97harley! Come on over to my Thread!
Maybe we could have a Civilized Discussion:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507701 I asked for the Haters to stay out, but you know how that goes.

tonyparson 10-28-2013 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by oily_oink (Post 20720748)
Hey 97harley! Come on over to my Thread!
Maybe we could have a Civilized Discussion:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507701 I asked for the Haters to stay out, but you know how that goes.

Why start another thread when you already posted in this one?? :upeyes:

oily_oink 10-28-2013 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyparson (Post 20721355)
Why start another thread when you already posted in this one?? :upeyes:

Maybe, just maybe, I didn't see this Thread until after I started mine... :dunno:

Bruce M 10-28-2013 17:17

I might gravitate to the 1911 for the nightstand especially if I shot it appreciably better than the Glock.

97harley 10-28-2013 18:19

The reason I bought the G21 was for it's capacity, 13+1 is a thing of the past here in Connecticut as of April of 2013. You can still own one but not buy one. I have two high capacity pistols, a G19 and a G21. I can't even carry the G19 unless I keep it with only 10 in the mag + 1. You can have/load what you want at the range and for the home. I am more accurate with a 1911 but lets face it, we're talking inches and at close range for home defense I"m confident of my ability. It's no big deal, just like I said I saw an advertisement in the back of a gun mag and was wondering if anyone had one installed. At the time I bought the G21 I wanted a STI double stack but was runnng out of time with the new BS laws in CT and kinda fell into the G21 SF. The G19 was my first handgun and up until the new laws carried it IWB often in the colder months when it dosen't print but now carry a 3 inch alum frame 1911 instead.