Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ridiculous parking feud. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507549)

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 19:03

Ridiculous parking feud.

Apologies in advance for the long OP.

Ok, so, some back story...

I'm living on a tight budget, doing the back to school thing. About a year ago, I moved into a very inexpensive apartment in a neighborhood most charitably described as "colorful". Lots of section eight neighbors. I am also disabled, my hips are prosthetic, and I have a disabled parking placard. Several of my family and friends likewise have placards, and have even more trouble getting around than I do. The complex I'm in has all reserved parking, and street parking is fairly limited. There is only one disabled parking space in the front lot.

Soon after moving in, I noticed that a certain individual was utilizing (monopolizing) the handicapped space to permanently store a second vehicle he rarely, if ever, drove. I complained, repeatedly, to the property manager, but no obvious action was taken in the following eight months.

Early this month, I came to the further realization that the placard in their (non-used) vehicle was several months expired, and that they were (probably) using their current placard with the vehicle they actually drive, to park in disabled spaces elsewhere. :steamed:

I called the towing company. The manager was reluctant to have them towed, and more inclined to give them yet another friendly warning to ignore. I pitched a medium-sized fit over it. (Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have, but this guy really irritates me.) She promised action. Later that day the offending vehicle disappeared. I don't know whether he was warned or towed.

So now, I have parked in the space occasionally, as have many others. There has been a bizarre plague of flat tires on vehicles parked in the handicapped space. It has happened to me once so far, (no leak in tire. Was completely flat, held air when refilled, no slow leak. Someone obviously took off valve-stem cover, let the air out, and replaced valve stem cover.), and I've seen it twice on someone else's vehicle. Newish, good shape tires in both cases.

I just finished leaving the vehicle owner presently parked there a note with my number on it, hopefully it will reach them and not the A-hole doing this, but that's a 50/50 bet. I want at least one other resident backing me when I talk to manager to improve odds of her taking me seriously.

I could just give up, but at this point, it's become a matter of principle. Even putting my needs aside, he's doing this to other disabled people who dare to park in 'his' space. I do not have the time for a stake out, and certainly don't wish to waste LEOs time with this petty crap, even assuming they'd be willing (or able) to do anything. I don't expect my manager to be particularly effective, though I'm going to try. Other steps I've thought of include buying a portable compressor (though this only helps me, other people would still be screwed) and rigging up some kind of trail-cam or similar.

So, this is a ridiculous, juvenile, absurd problem to have, but it is the problem in front of me. Any ideas, guys?

Would you stop parking there? What about other people who aren't aware of problem? I feel, at this point, that its my mess to clean up, somehow.

Hamilton Burger 10-26-2013 19:35

What does your rental agreement say?

I would assume "reserved parking" means that spots are assigned? Or does it say any tenant can park anywhere (first-come-first-served is not reserved)? I would hope that each apt. gets a space, and anybody needing extra could pay additional, or work something out with a non-driving tenant.

At any rate, it seems owner/management needs to create more handicapped parking... check for local ordinance, it may be required of them.

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton Burger (Post 20717641)
What does you rental agreement say? Is parking first-come-first-served, or reserved for tenants?

If reserved, does it mean any tenant can park anywhere, or are spots assigned? I would hope that each apt. gets a space, and anybody needing extra could pay additional, or work something out with a non-driving tenant.

At any rate, it seems owner/management needs to create more handicapped parking... check local ordinance, it may be required of them.

Parking is basically one space per apartment, numbered and assigned. This guy was using his assigned space for the vehicle he drives, and storing his second vehicle in the only handicapped spot. I'll be talking to manager about it Monday, but her past performance doesn't inspire confidence.

ETA: ADA requirement, as I understand it, is one handicapped per 25 spaces, up to 100, then 1 per fifty after that, up to some large number. Not sure how many spaces the place has, total, but I will be finding out.

BlackPaladin 10-26-2013 19:44

OP, I would be angry too.

I would contact the A-Team, I hear that they can help if you have trouble.

RenoF250 10-26-2013 19:49

I think you should push dog poo into the fresh air intake of his car.

Also, push for more handicapped spots. What are you doing with your assigned spot?

Most important advice - don't live in apartment.

I rented rooms in houses from people. Made some good friends and had all the benefits of living in a house. Cheaper than an apartment too.

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPaladin (Post 20717660)

Mmmm.... I'm a little worried about that option. They have kind of a history of shooting up the entire neighborhood with full-auto mini-14s, never hitting anyone, and blowing stuff up, don't they? I'm not sure the guy messing with the tires has a barn full of construction equipment to lock them in so they can build an armored assault vehicle, either.

stolenphot0 10-26-2013 19:54

Quote:

Only if he can find, then maybe he can hire....

:50cal::50cal::50cal::50cal::50cal:

The A-Team

Hamilton Burger 10-26-2013 19:55

Sounds like you're in Cali?

I believe that, were you in Texas and could catch a thief stealing air from your tires under cover of darknesss, it might be your civic duty to shoot them a little.

relayman 10-26-2013 20:04

His tires have valve stems too ...

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton Burger (Post 20717685)
Sounds like you're in Cali?

I believe that, were you in Texas and could catch a thief stealing air from your tires under cover of darknesss, it might be your civic duty to shoot them a little.

Yep, Cali. Sucks.

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by relayman (Post 20717695)
His tires have valve stems too ...

Crossed my mind, but I'm trying not to sink to his level.

Bruce M 10-26-2013 20:06

Quote:

:rofl::rofl:

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 20:07

Knew I could count on GT to help me see the lighter side, lol. Thanks, guys.

mike0262p 10-26-2013 20:11

If the apartment complex is owned by a corporation, can you find out who the managers supervisor is and talk with them. Explain to them your situation and tell her supervisor the problem is not being resolved, that the offender is retaliating against others parking in that spot.

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike0262p (Post 20717709)
If the apartment complex is owned by a corporation, can you find out who the managers supervisor is and talk with them. Explain to them your situation and tell her supervisor the problem is not being resolved.

That's a good thought, thank you. I will give her a chance to deal before going over her head. I'm just frustrated because the office won't be open until Monday.

Harper 10-26-2013 20:13

If it is illegal to let the air out of someone's tires, and I think it is, a trailcam may not be a bad idea. If you can see the spot from your apartment even better. Also, some apartment complexes have security cameras.

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper (Post 20717711)
If it is illegal to let the air out of someone's tires, and I think it is, a trailcam may not be a bad idea. If you can see the spot from your apartment even better. Also, some apartment complexes have security cameras.

That's what I'm thinking. No view of the lot from my place, and complex doesn't have cameras that I've seen, but a trailcam may be possible.

Geeorge 10-26-2013 20:28

Take action against the P Rick , side cuts do a nice job on valve stems

JMS 10-26-2013 20:32

Sounds like more of an ADA issue as there is not sufficient handicap accessible parking for the building. Take a look at that angle and you might be able to force your building to make more spaces handicap only.

Bruce M 10-26-2013 20:33

Out of curiosity if you have only one car and an assigned parking spot why worry about the status of any spot other than your assigned one?

*ASH* 10-26-2013 20:33

you in nc ??

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ASH* (Post 20717748)
you in nc ??

No, Commiefornia.

*ASH* 10-26-2013 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold (Post 20717752)
No, Commiefornia.

ahh ok .

F14Scott 10-26-2013 21:11

My experience with these sorts of minor feuds is that the person with the least to lose wins. You can do whatever you want to him with the manager and her boss and maybe lawyers, etc., but he's already learned a) vandalism is fun, 2) he can get away with it, and D) you're unwilling to risk retaliating (as you shouldn't, since the risk of totally screwing up your life is not worth the small benefit).

RagnarDanneskjold 10-26-2013 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by F14Scott (Post 20717814)
My experience with these sorts of minor feuds is that the person with the least to lose wins. You can do whatever you want to him with the manager and her boss and maybe lawyers, etc., but he's already learned a) vandalism is fun, 2) he can get away with it, and D) you're unwilling to risk retaliating (as you shouldn't, since the risk of totally screwing up your life is not worth the small benefit).

Probably all true. Frustrating, but true. Clearly, he doesn't know which vehicle is mine, or who turned him in, and doesn't mind turning his wrath on innocent third parties. I feel bad about the people who are getting hosed with collateral damage from this.