Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Do You "Get" Duck Dynasty? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499414)

GLWyandotte 08-14-2013 15:26

Do You "Get" Duck Dynasty?

My sister in law practically drools over this show. I've watched it a few times and I don't get it.
These dudes sit, mumble, and pretend to hunt. They sit in a boat, mumble more, show some ducks in the air clearly nowhere near them, they stand up shoot, and sit down and mumble more. No ducks, no splash, no dog....
Am I missing something?

ilgunguygt 08-14-2013 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLWyandotte (Post 20541257)
My sister in law practically drools over this show. I've watched it a few times and I don't get it.
These dudes sit, mumble, and pretend to hunt. They sit in a boat, mumble more, show some ducks in the air clearly nowhere near them, they stand up shoot, and sit down and mumble more. No ducks, no splash, no dog....
Am I missing something?

I would say so considering that the act of duck hunting has been on the show for maybe 10 minutes in three seasons.

Its a show about family and life, not duck hunting. Some people cant appreciate that, they need mindless action.

Lockback 08-14-2013 15:38

I don't get any of these trashy "reality" shows.
I hold them personally responsible for the decline of Western civilization. :frown:

GLWyandotte 08-14-2013 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgunguygt (Post 20541275)
I would say so considering that the act of duck hunting has been on the show for maybe 10 minutes in three seasons.

Its a show about family and life, not duck hunting. Some people cant appreciate that, they need mindless action.

Oh, excuse me!
I suppose you prefer their mindless interaction!

JBnTX 08-14-2013 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockback (Post 20541284)

I don't get any of these trashy "reality" shows.
I hold them personally responsible for the decline of Western civilization. :frown:

Some people actually believe those shows are "reality".
The truth is they are ALL faked with bad actors following a poorly written script.

They will be the downfall of our civilization.

Harper 08-14-2013 15:52

Like most "a day in the life" type reality shows they make up semi-fake scenarios for the characters to engage in. It's pretty vapid material. It markets itself as having simple family values to a conservative audience. Which is fine but there's nothing particularly engaging about it. It's mildly entertaining sometimes.

Joshhtn 08-14-2013 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgunguygt (Post 20541275)

:rofl:

Relax... :pms:

bmoore 08-14-2013 16:01

If anyone thinks these guys can't hunt, check out Duck Commander videos. Duck Commander was long before Duck Dynasty.

stolenphot0 08-14-2013 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLWyandotte (Post 20541257)
Am I missing something?

I've tried a few times but can't get into it. Seems like another version of Honey Boo Boo

NeverMore1701 08-14-2013 16:10

Not for me.

rednoved 08-14-2013 16:11

It's the only "reality" show I watch. I know it's scripted. I enjoy it for what it is.

EOS 08-14-2013 16:15

Here in KY, people go nuts over those guys like 12 year old girls over Justin Beiber.

The show, like all reality shows, is scripted nonsense, and people eat it up. Synthetically engineered drama meant to attract the average american zombie. Reality shows get more and more preposterous every day.

I much prefer a quality REAL tv show like Breaking Bad or SOA. Following someone through their daily life doesn't interest me at all. Reality shows are the embodiment of the nosey American society we have today.

Lockback 08-14-2013 16:18

I watch sports. That's reality TV.

slick64 08-14-2013 16:18

What is there to get? Its on TV, hence entertainment. I find the show amusing and better then some of the other poo-poo on TV.

Glockdude1 08-14-2013 16:24

http://www.pagecovers.com/covers/tel...onkey_kong.jpg

:supergrin:

CBennett 08-14-2013 16:34

I dont watch it but I have seen it..it was creatively amusing when the Nephews had it on at the hotel we were staying at while we were going to a car show...I said id never saw it before they explained it...even my father in law watches it he said...I DID find it relatively funny..I didnt find it intriguing enough to become a viewer though and have not seen it since then(last year in july)

Redheadhunter21 08-14-2013 16:35

I like to watch shows that require no thinking or teach me something.

Duck dynasty falls perfectly under the requirement of no thinking. It also pretty funny to me. And I think I have even learned a couple things.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Rinspeed 08-14-2013 16:43

What the hell is there to "get", it's a TV show, don't like it don't watch it. :dunno:

Dalton Wayne 08-14-2013 16:46

It's a great show, they have family squabbles they shoot they are into the outdoors and nature, and at the end of the show they all get together and pray whats not to like
It's like a modern day Waltons, love the show

ArlenGunClub 08-14-2013 17:00

The show used to be good. It's way too obviously scripted now. Of course it always was, but now it's way too apparent. It was a good version of most reality shows, but now it has gone the way of everything else, appealing to the masses. I don't watch it anymore because it has gotten really fake, but I still support their overall message of god and family. This is, of course, just my opinion, if you still like it, then great. It is/was a good show.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

cyphertext 08-14-2013 17:23

At first I didn't care for it, thought it was too scripted. Then I saw where one of the characters, Jase, characterized the show as a sit com with real people. After that, I guess I got it, because I enjoy it. I find it humorous. My favorite episode is when they go frog hunting at the country club. :supergrin:

Dan_ntx 08-14-2013 17:56

I have a 12 year old son and it's difficult for us to watch tv together. We like Gator Boys and Call of the Wildman and Duck Dynasty because they are simple, safe, and entertaining when we want to crash on the couch on a Sunday afternoon or Saturday night and be buddies.

A lot of parents try to make sure their kids are always busy with activities and entertained 24/7, but some time doing nothing together seems to keep us a close family. Shows without an agenda or full of political, drug, or sexual "humor" are tough to find. Duck Dynasty fills that order pretty well. If my son and I were at Bass Pro Shops and saw the Robertsons I would be thrilled to shake their hands.

Do I "get" it?...it's not on when I'm home alone, but I appreciate that I don't have to worry about what is said or what message is sent when I am not home alone...and if you don't overthink it, you might get a laugh out of it.

*ASH* 08-14-2013 18:20

its better then all the other crap shows, the one thing that really impressed me was WHEN THEY WERE RENEWING THEIR CONTRACT THE CHANNEL WANTED THEM TO CUT OUT THE TABLE SCENES AND PRAYERS . they said no and if they did not like it they were sure another channel would pick it up .

if you watch it like a sitcom its OK. if you watch thinking its real you obviously dont get it

BAILIFF 08-14-2013 18:43

"Hey!"

Reyn 08-14-2013 18:43

I think it's great.