Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   ZIMMERMAN TRIAL Discussion: (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492605)

wingryder 06-25-2013 08:27

ZIMMERMAN TRIAL Discussion:

I thought we should start a thread to discuss the trial as it proceeds. I live in Orlando and have been watching for the past 2 days.

I feel that Zimmerman's Lawyers appear to be disorganized and incompetent!

The Opening statement by Don West was far to long and detailed. He opened with a friggin' Knock-knock joke! IN A MURDER TRIAL!?! He then droned on for 3 hours citing far too much detail for an opening statement. His delivery is monotonous, tedious and contains far too many long pauses (while he collects his thoughts). He stammered and backtracked. Horrible to watch!

They ended the day yesterday contesting the admission of evidence of Zimmerman's previous non-emergency calls... AFTER they were already in the middle of testimony. Z's attorney's should have already known whether they wanted that admitted or not.

At this point, it doesn't look good for Zimmerman. Of course that could change, but his lawyers don't seem all that organized or competent to me. JMO

Glock30Eric 06-25-2013 08:32

tagged.

faawrenchbndr 06-25-2013 08:32

Lawyers, either idiots or genius in the making.

wingryder 06-25-2013 08:39

I am assuming that there are some stronger phases of the trial for them, but clearly West's opening statement doesn't appear to be well thought out nor did it fit his droning style of delivery. Knock-knock joke fell flat and he later had to apologized.

Off to a roaring start for the defense!

willie_pete 06-25-2013 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingryder (Post 20401979)
I am assuming that there are some stronger phases of the trial for them, but clearly West's opening statement doesn't appear to be well thought out nor did it fit his droning style of delivery. Knock-knock joke fell flat and he later had to apologized.

Off to a roaring start for the defense!

If his purpose for the joke was to get the jury to stop thinking about the strong open by the prosecutor and to pay attention to his open, he probably accomplished that. Planned or not I don't know, but at that level I suspect it was planned.

Even though his open droned on and on, he got a lot of information out to the jury before the prosecutor could put his spin on it. He probably got out some things that the jury would never see otherwise. I'll reserve judgment until the end to see if GZ got his monies worth.

WP

wjv 06-25-2013 09:29

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...491986&page=16

Patchman 06-25-2013 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingryder (Post 20401945)
I feel that Zimmerman's Lawyers appear to be disorganized and incompetent!

The Opening statement by Don West was far to long and detailed. He opened with a friggin' Knock-knock joke! IN A MURDER TRIAL!?! He then droned on for 3 hours citing far too much detail for an opening statement. His delivery is monotonous, tedious and contains far too many long pauses (while he collects his thoughts). He stammered and backtracked. Horrible to watch!

His lawyers don't seem all that organized or competent to me. JMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 20401959)
Lawyers, either idiots or genius in the making.

^^^ This!

And many cases have been lost because of bad lawyering. Whether Zimmerman gets acquitted or found guilty, at least let it be on the facts or the law, and not on bad lawyers.

TBO 06-25-2013 10:10

I wonder how many are truly watching this case with an open mind?

I already see people (both sides) building a case for why their side unjustly lost...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JBnTX 06-25-2013 11:11

Why are we even hearing about this trial?

Since the Zimmerman/Martin event anywhere from 100-200 black males have been killed by other black males in this country. And under far more hostile conditions.

Why are we not hearing about any or all of those?
It seems that the news media has a hidden agenda?

el_jewapo 06-25-2013 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 20402365)
Since the Zimmerman/Martin event anywhere from 100-200 black males have been killed by other black males in this country.

Which neighborhood are you referring to? I hope you're not talking about all of them collectively. If so, your numbers might be a wee bit low.

Glock30Eric 06-25-2013 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 20402365)
Why are we even hearing about this trial?

Since the Zimmerman/Martin event anywhere from 100-200 black males have been killed by other black males in this country. And under far more hostile conditions.

Why are we not hearing about any or all of those?
It seems that the news media has a hidden agenda?

Yeah that's old news. Media is trying to stir up for a complete riot in America so they could profit from that event by broadcasting the event. Clever! NOT!

SGT278ACR 06-25-2013 12:03

One thing is for certain... right, wrong or indifferent... if Z gets acquitted, found not guilty, etc... there will be civil unrest somewhere over it.

el_jewapo 06-25-2013 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT278ACR (Post 20402469)
One thing is for certain... right, wrong or indifferent... if Z gets acquitted, found not guilty, etc... there will be civil unrest somewhere over it.

People wringing their hands worrying about that is a big problem in this country. It's why the unrest happens to start with.

IndyGunFreak 06-25-2013 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT278ACR (Post 20402469)

I worry if it's a hung jury.. he's not gonna have the money/stamina to fight again, and might take some ridiculous plea that avoids prison/jail time.

This of course, will also result in rioting. Like I said earlier, if you guys live in the area, I'd have 3-5 days of supplies on hand when jury deliberations start. If he is acquitted, I think it's going to be absolute chaos.

IGF

Cashgap 06-25-2013 12:41

Curious, when is this expected to go to the Jury? I realize it's a guess, but some folks are good at guessing!

It will take a HEAVY thumb or SEVERAL very heavy thumbs on the scale of justice to get any sort of conviction, and even at that, the thumbprint should pave the way for the appeal.

But I think the riot talk is just idle threats.

countrygun 06-25-2013 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 20402520)
I worry if it's a hung jury.. he's not gonna have the money/stamina to fight again, and might take some ridiculous plea that avoids prison/jail time.

This of course, will also result in rioting. Like I said earlier, if you guys live in the area, I'd have 3-5 days of supplies on hand when jury deliberations start. If he is acquitted, I think it's going to be absolute chaos.

IGF

I think time has a degrading effect on the will of folks to riot. Had no charges been brought riots, IMO, would have happened. But remember there was quite a lag between the incident itself and the media ginning it up until charges were pressed. Now the "hard core, waiting to riot, instigators" have to stir up the community again. Not so easy the second or third time around.
I don't doubt there will be some unrest if he is acquitted or even with a hung jury, but I will bet it is the type of group that would use a parking ticket as an excuse.

I doubt a hung jury will result in a second trial. there are legal ways around that, such as a dismissal with prejudice, or dismissal without, giving the prosecution a second chance if they uncover new evidence, but I would bet some accommodation would be made that wouldn't involve any plea from Zimmerman.

I think the prosecution will be glad to get the whole mess off their hands without getting a pound of flesh.

Glock!9 06-25-2013 13:06

I think it has been too long for people to riot, at least on a larg scale

kensb2 06-25-2013 13:11

How popular do people think it will be with the citizens of FL to have to pay for a second trial if it is a hung jury? IMO regardless of how I feel about a particular case, that the State gets 1 shot. If they can't get a conviction, then its done and overwith. They didn't meet the burden of proof in a great enough way to convince the entire jury.

FullClip 06-25-2013 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock!9 (Post 20402610)
I think it has been too long for people to riot, at least on a larg scale

It's been a hundred and fifty years plus, and there are still a lot of them demanding 'reparations'....:upeyes:

Yeah, I Zimmerman walks, there will be jungle law for a while in some parts of Florida...and it could spread.

WarCry 06-25-2013 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjv (Post 20402126)

^This thread has been going strong for a good couple o' days now. Not sure another was needed, but I'll leave that in the hands of the mods.

CAcop 06-25-2013 13:57

Opening statement are boring and almost pointless. Lawyers like to talk. Even simple cases like theft or battery take days. One day is spent on jury selection. A half a day is spent on opening statements. Then at least a day and a half on witnesses. Then another half of a day for closing statements. That is the better part of a week just to get it to the jury.

It is nothing like TV.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

DustyJacket 06-25-2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensb2 (Post 20402615)
.. the State gets 1 shot. If they can't get a conviction, then its done and overwith....

you should read Helter Skelter......

el_jewapo 06-25-2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAcop (Post 20402721)
Opening statement are boring and almost pointless. Lawyers like to talk. Even simple cases like theft or battery take days. One day is spent on jury selection. A half a day is spent on opening statements. Then at least a day and a half on witnesses. Then another half of a day for closing statements. That is the better part of a week just to get it to the jury.

It is nothing like TV.

I've been expecting to settle into a long trial like Jodi Arias. You think this one will be done in a week or two?

wingryder 06-25-2013 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarCry (Post 20402669)
^This thread has been going strong for a good couple o' days now. Not sure another was needed, but I'll leave that in the hands of the mods.

I wanted a thread to discuss aspects of the trail, not about whether or not there will be riots, etc...

Quigley 06-25-2013 14:23

I feel bad for poor selected jury members. Their entire life is being placed on hold for quite some time to come.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire