Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sights, Optics and Lasers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   looking for a light. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488229)

clarson_75 05-23-2013 15:11

looking for a light.

Not that long ago I changed my 23 out for a 20sf. Last week the flashlight that I edc died. I was wondering if anyone made a flashlight that snaps into place on the rail. I was hoping to find something that I can carry in my pocket or on my belt, since I use the light a lot. Then if I needed to could just slide onto the rail of the 20 to have both my hands on the gun.

Inebriated 05-23-2013 15:17

The last thing I want to do when I'm in a situation where I need my gun, is shove my hand in front of the muzzle to put the light on.

I'd suggest learning some techniques regarding light/pistol manipulation, and do some one-handed shooting practice.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but just my couple pennies.

clarson_75 05-23-2013 20:00

I'm not saying i want to attach the light to my gun in the middle of a firefight, but if i get home and my door is kicked in I would like to be able to have a light and have both hands on the gun.

MikeG21 05-24-2013 10:09

Sorry, this kinda seems silly to me as well.

But to answer your question-

I'm not aware of any light that "snaps" on. Most lights "slide" on and are tightened. The TLR-1 is pretty easy to take on/off in under 4 seconds. Can't vouch for other lights...

Glockster_James 05-24-2013 14:25

Sounds like what you want is going to be a Surefire X300. You can slide on/off anytime, just need to pull down on the tab and slide off to take it off.

Having said that, many will advise that you still need to identify your target prior to pointing a loaded gun at them so a dedicated weapon mounted light may not be favored by everyone. I for one use a dedicated light at home and still have my handheld light that I carry with me and also use.

Get both a handheld and weapon mounted light and train train train.

plouffedaddy 05-24-2013 14:30

APL gets my vote---great mounting system and you can turn it on 'safe' so it doesn't activate in your pocket. Here's my review:

Gonetodarkside 05-24-2013 17:23

Blackhawk builds one which works in conjunction with a proprietary SERPA holster.

I have the old school Streamlight m6 on my night stand gun.

clarson_75 05-24-2013 22:28

thanks for those examples. they both look like they will work. Glockster James, i'm not looking for a dedicated pistol light. like i said before, i want something with a quick attachment so i can carry it in my pocket and use it when i need it. If a situation would ever arise where i felt the need to draw my gun, i could just snap it on the rail and keep both hands on the grip.

Ryobi 05-25-2013 05:52

Not much use for a mounted light for ccw. If you use one, have a dedicated light, such as a tlr-1. Mounting a light to a loaded gun under stress equals fail. If you have that much time, you probably need a cellphone more than a gun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarson_75 (Post 20316015)
Not that long ago I changed my 23 out for a 20sf. Last week the flashlight that I edc died. I was wondering if anyone made a flashlight that snaps into place on the rail. I was hoping to find something that I can carry in my pocket or on my belt, since I use the light a lot. Then if I needed to could just slide onto the rail of the 20 to have both my hands on the gun.

Glockster_James 05-25-2013 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarson_75 (Post 20319849)
thanks for those examples. they both look like they will work. Glockster James, i'm not looking for a dedicated pistol light. like i said before, i want something with a quick attachment so i can carry it in my pocket and use it when i need it. If a situation would ever arise where i felt the need to draw my gun, i could just snap it on the rail and keep both hands on the grip.

Didn't mean dedicated as in permanent attached. Dedicated as in that's the purpose of a weapon mount light, designed to be weapon mounted, not hand held, though it can be used that way (hence the reason I suggested what I did). If you research the Surefire X300 you'll find that it's one of the best slide on/off lights out there. TLR series are great too for the money, but you've got to tighten them down (using up even more time in a gun fight). Never tried the one from Blackhawk because for the money you can get better and brighter lights.

For what it's worth, there is a reason people run their guns with a light attached constantly or they use a hand held light instead.

Mr. S 05-26-2013 01:07

I have never used this personally but it looks like what you are looking for.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=RLS

RayB 05-28-2013 04:34

Glock has long offered a magazine floor plate with a ring for mounting a flashlight...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...dTitle=Factory Original Glock Model 17 10 Round Magazine with Bottom Flashlight Adapter

I suppose, you could dedicate one magazine for bedside duty.

I have no issue sweeping an intruder with my weapon mounted light. If it ain't the wife or the dog, it don't belong here!

Besides, you can flash-light an entire room by skipping the beam off the ceiling.

--Ray