Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sights, Optics and Lasers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   My serious weapon light dilemma (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487271)

TheGuyWho 05-16-2013 14:57

My serious weapon light dilemma

I have been seriously looking into buying a weapon light for my G22. Its come down to the TLR 1 or the Inforce APL. At this point my main concern is the light output. 300 lumen LED compared to 200 lumen LED. The Inforce is less lumens but more money whereas the TLR 1 is slightly less ($20). Price isnt really the problem. The light output is what concerns me. Is an extra 100 lumens gonna make it too bright? Yeah I said it, too bright is actually a concern. Which is the main reason why Im not just going for the 630 lumen HL.

Which light is going to give me a clearer/cleaner picture? This is something I have not been able to get a good answer on by doing a bunch of research.

Has anyone tried both and compared the two?

ArmoryDoc 05-16-2013 20:46

I haven't compared the two lights but I've compared lumens. I just mounted a TLR-1 w/C4 LED which packs a whopping 300 lumens and I can tell you this, it is amazing. I've used it indoors, also worried about it being "too bright". It isn't. It puts off enough ambient light I can ID a taget without pointing my weapon at them, keeping it at a low ready. It puts out enough light that if I do use it for disorientation, it definitely packs the punch to do so. Plus, I have Streamlights fantastic warranty and customer service. You can have the other lights. It's the TLR-1 for me, without a doubt. :)

MikeG21 05-16-2013 22:45

^ what he said

tlr-1 ftw

HKLovingIT 05-17-2013 20:49

One of members made this review:

GlockPride 05-17-2013 20:58

I have several TLR-1 and 1s lights. They are they way to go between your two options. There lots of holster manufacturers that will accommodate as well.

I smashed a bezel into a granite counter corner. I called and asked to buy replacement parts telling them it was my fault. They insisted that they send them for free. That's a strong statement and made me a longtime customer.

TheGuyWho 05-18-2013 16:40

I watched that video before "HKLovingIT" its one of the reasons I started to consider the Inforce. I just wish I could see a side by side comparison of the TLR 1 and Inforce APL.

At this point I am really leaning towards the Streamlight TLR 1. Its been tested, proven, and has great customer service. Not sure I need the strobe feature. I can see its benefits, just not sure I want it on my weapon light. My handheld is 500 lumens with a strobe feature.

Thanks for the help guys. Its much appreciated to hear peoples opinions.

ArmoryDoc 05-18-2013 18:23

I'm sure the Inforce is good. I KNOW the TLR-1 is. ;)

WayaX 05-18-2013 21:26

As far as I'm concerned, after my experience with Streamlight (excellent customer service, very crappy product) I will never buy from them again. Inforce's offerings are new, and are looking pretty good. If you can swing it, get a Surefire, otherwise take a chance on the Inforce.

TheGuyWho 05-19-2013 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayaX (Post 20302912)
As far as I'm concerned, after my experience with Streamlight (excellent customer service, very crappy product) I will never buy from them again. Inforce's offerings are new, and are looking pretty good. If you can swing it, get a Surefire, otherwise take a chance on the Inforce.

Nothing against Surefire lights. I have several. But when it comes to weapon lights, specifically handgun lights (I have a Surefire weapon light on my AR btw) I'm just not impressed. I don't see the value for the price with a $2-300 pistol light. Plus it sticks out too far past the muzzle for my taste.

Ryobi 05-25-2013 05:57

For home defense, hunting, or police use, a mounted light can be quite useful. Tlr-1

Dalton Wayne 05-25-2013 06:06

I've got a GTL 21 60 lumen s it lights up anything in pistol range, any more lumen s on a pistol is a waste in my opinion, however my hand held surefire is 300 lumen s

RetailNinjitsu 05-25-2013 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne (Post 20320222)
I've got a GTL 21 60 lumen s it lights up anything in pistol range, any more lumen s on a pistol is a waste in my opinion, however my hand held surefire is 300 lumen s

Respectfully disagree. My new TLR HL turns my 50 x 100 back yard into Las Vegas Blvd...

...at noon.

Glockster_James 05-25-2013 13:25

TLR-1 all the way.

RyanNREMTP 05-25-2013 17:01

TRL1 here as well. I don't have any experience with any Inforce lights so I can't comment on them. TRLs are easier to find holsters for, don't know about Inforce.

RayB 05-28-2013 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayaX (Post 20302912)

The Insight WX150 is an excellent weapon light as well, rivaling Surefire for quality at $100.00 less!

Here's a pic comparing the WX150's predecessor, the XTI Procyon with a SureFire X200B...

Last I examined the different brands in 2008, the Surefire and Insight models appeared to be more "hardened" than the TLR models were. Performance-wise, all three worked great! Certainly, all were plenty bright for in-home use!

--Ray

Bill Lumberg 05-28-2013 15:47

I was issued insight for a while, not the current offering. After all the problems we had and the apathy from the company, we're quite happy to be using surefire.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel 05-28-2013 18:55

TRL1 for the win!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...f.jpg~original

RayB 05-29-2013 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg (Post 20329357)
I was issued insight for a while, not the current offering. After all the problems we had and the apathy from the company, we're quite happy to be using surefire.

Yeah, I can't speak to the long haul in the real world... :dunno:

Which model were you using that failed you? :eyebrow:

--Ray

CigarandScotch 05-29-2013 14:38

Another vote for the TLR-1. Mine is also the most recent version with 300 lumens. What is most impressive to me is the amount of spill/flood it produces, which is really what you want if you are quickly checking rooms. You won't be disappointed.

RayB 05-29-2013 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarandScotch (Post 20332118)
Another vote for the TLR-1. Mine is also the most recent version with 300 lumens. What is most impressive to me is the amount of spill/flood it produces, which is really what you want if you are quickly checking rooms. You won't be disappointed.

The pic in my earlier post, as memory serves, is what you got from 150-lumens from either lamp. :shocked:

You've doubled that! :wow:

These things are getting crazy bright! :cool:

--Ray