Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Example of a realistic bug-out scenario? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487174)

Stupid 05-15-2013 20:31

Example of a realistic bug-out scenario?

In what cases would you bug out? Can you give me an example?

I can only think of hurricane.

Akita 05-15-2013 20:56

Overturned rail tanker and the chlorine cloud is headed my way.

ChuteTheMall 05-15-2013 21:02

Neighborhood on fire.:steamed:

quake 05-15-2013 21:05

I was also going to say rail accident, plus truck accident, etc.

Problems at Arkansas Nuclear One, which is west (ie, upwind) of us.

Tornadoes if damage was severe enough.

Ice storms potentially, although we've always just ridden out the ice storm power outages at home.

Zombies & reptoids, obviously. :)

Jakestir 05-15-2013 21:08

Some sort of industrial disaster or chemical attack would be the most likely event I suppose. Let's hope we never have to deal with it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

thetoastmaster 05-15-2013 21:17

Here's the question: What could take you away from your house for a few days, and in which you fully expect to return home?

How about raw sewage backing into your basement? What if the local river jumps its banks and the water is in your house? There are also the chemical spills mentioned above.

What, not Rambo enough?

Many "survival" situations are pretty mundane. It's the preparation that makes the situation bearable. Anything that necessitates getting out of your house for a few days, to me, is a "bugout". The difference is what you take with you. To me, it's almost never a INCH scenario.

Haldor 05-15-2013 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall (Post 20295474)
Neighborhood on fire.:steamed:

That is the most likely situation that would force me out. Extended power outage leading to lack of water main pressure. Uncontrolled fire heading my way is absolutely head for the hills time..

AK_Stick 05-15-2013 23:50

Flood, Hurricane, Tornado, Earthquake, Volcano, Chem spill, Chem attack, Bio attack, Bio spill, Nuclear spill, Nuclear attack, Wildfire, Riots, Solar Flare/Localized loss of power grid. Massive tectonic shift

kirgi08 05-16-2013 00:20

Social/Economic.'08.

Aceman 05-16-2013 05:00

CAtegory 4 Hurricane headed my way.

Bren 05-16-2013 05:29

Being wanted by law enforcement or on the wrong side of a civil war.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

cowboy1964 05-16-2013 10:12

Here in NE Ohio, a chemical or nuke accident is top of my list. During a pandemic (more likely than the other scenarios) I would probably hunker down for the duration.

bdcochran 05-16-2013 13:50

bug out

The realistic scenarios: 1. tsunami. In which case I can go up the hill another 200 feet in about 5 minutes; 2. fire. I do have a manual sprinkler system on the roofs of the house and garage that might fail.

Otherwise, I am always in a survival mode.

Today. 1. Time Warner phone out for two days. Two native English speaking technical support people who were of no assistance whatsoever. REplaced the first modem by driving to company. Technician coming by at 1 p.m. I got the system re-running, but the modem does not have a battery as displayed in the youtube video. Says a lot that you have to rely upon youtube.
2. Day 2 of waiting for the final parts to complete home repair of dishwasher. If you guys think that you will simply go to the corner hardware store, a specialty repair store or going on line, you absolutely dead wrong. The machine is only 4 years old.
3. Day 4 of trying to get the technical support information. I need sae 5 oil for a hydraulic floor jack. NO information on fluid containers at the auto repair stores. Gunk did not respond to email, fax machine was down at Gunk, technical support guys had disappeared at 3 p.m. Eastern Time from North Carolina location. Don't feel like buying on line and paying for shipping.

Remember this, all you computer warriors. Behind every SF guy is a supply line of close to 20 people. When shtf and you have to bug out, you are on your own. If you think that your kid who won't even take out the trash or your wife who refused to go camping in the past is going to be of assistance, you are wrong. Bugging out is that last resort. IF you don't don't have a go bag in the hall closet and another in the trunk of the car, you aren't going to bug out.

RWBlue 05-16-2013 14:50

Fertilizer plant on fire.

UneasyRider 05-16-2013 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceman (Post 20295980)
CAtegory 4 Hurricane headed my way.

I no longer run from hurricanes... too much traffic... strong house.

Aceman 05-16-2013 20:15

Waking up and finding out I live in NY, CA, or IL...

Three extremely good reasons to bug out right there.

FireForged 05-16-2013 20:16

A localized event that causes a lengthy interruption of primary services (utility, water, food, fuel, fire, ems, police) which causes a situation where paniced citizens are functioning without rule of law.

Lasting Human Hazard ( nuclear, forest fire, flood, quake, chemical accident)

Lasting Attack ( war or terrorist action)

Stupid 05-16-2013 20:34

Which one would require you to bug out with your bug out bag?

wjv 05-17-2013 08:18

Earthquake
Volcano (yes I live near an active one)

quake 05-17-2013 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stupid (Post 20298067)
Which one would require you to bug out with your bug out bag?

Isn't that like asking "which gunfight would require you to bring your gun?" or "which pie-eating contest would require you to eat pie?"...?