Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Paint pros, need quick advice... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487173)

Detectorist 05-15-2013 20:25

Paint pros, need quick advice...

I may have a gig next week painting 2 bedrooms and a living room in exchange for some stuff. I haven't painted in 25 years. Owner is supplying all the paint and supplies.

Give me advice and tell me about the necessary equipment. I know things have changed in 25 years....

Thanks!

JBG30 05-15-2013 20:39

I'll defer to the pro's, but I'd tell the owner to buy PPG paint and Purdy brushes and rollers or find someone else to do it. Nothing worse than painting with cheap products.

*ACE* 05-15-2013 20:54

Seriously? You're contracting to do house painting and ask those questions?

Dude.

Detectorist 05-15-2013 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ACE* (Post 20295454)
Seriously? You're contracting to do house painting and ask those questions?

Dude.

It's not brain surgery. Thanks for your help, anyway.

southGA 05-16-2013 07:41

There is a difference is paint quality. You get what you pay for. I use sherwin Williams, stay away from lowes house brand, worst paint I've ever used. A good brush and roller cover and that's about it. Since you don't paint regularly, tape along the baseboards and any trim and you'll wind up with a nice clean edge. Also if you are using more than a gallon of a color in a room and you have for example, 2 one gallon cans, make sure you box/mix em together. Even though they mix each exactly I have had times where they were off just enough to see a slight variation in where I stopped with one and started with the new. I also wash my rollers the day before I use em to remove any loose fibers, then just let em dry overnight. Good luck.

Dennis in MA 05-16-2013 07:47

I've had 2 professional painters tell me this:

Brushes - Purdy.

Rollers - cheap ones.

Why?

You never ever EVER wash a roller. It's a waste of time and water. Bag it between coats and then toss it at the end of the job.

Learn to cut in so you don't need to tape.

One trick I use for latex paint - get some FloTrol (sp?) and put a bit into the cup with your trim paint. It helps it lay flatter and get rid of brush marks. Thins the paint a bit. Gets that look of oil-based trim paint.

Sand all the corners before painting. Sharp edges = chipping.

No matter what the can tells you, two coats. TWO COATS! (More to make sure you covered everything than anything.)

I'm a big Ben Moore fan. Sherwin works just fine - used it for years. Not a fan of the Lowe's or Home dePot paint. Too thick!

GreenDrake 05-16-2013 07:49

Tint your primer

Detectorist 05-16-2013 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by southGA (Post 20296255)
There is a difference is paint quality. You get what you pay for. I use sherwin Williams, stay away from lowes house brand, worst paint I've ever used. A good brush and roller cover and that's about it. Since you don't paint regularly, tape along the baseboards and any trim and you'll wind up with a nice clean edge. Also if you are using more than a gallon of a color in a room and you have for example, 2 one gallon cans, make sure you box/mix em together. Even though they mix each exactly I have had times where they were off just enough to see a slight variation in where I stopped with one and started with the new. I also wash my rollers the day before I use em to remove any loose fibers, then just let em dry overnight. Good luck.

Thank you! Great advice!

CitizenOfDreams 05-16-2013 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by southGA (Post 20296255)
You get what you pay for.

That's true for both paint and painters. :rofl:

Detectorist 05-16-2013 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams (Post 20296480)
That's true for both paint and painters. :rofl:

Not really true in my case. I'm being over paid. :tongueout:

stevemc 05-16-2013 13:02

A painter showed me a trick with the rollers. Just leave them in the paint bucket and don't worry about cleaning them, toss them when you are done so you don't get any boogers on the wall. The blue masking tape works well on the trim. Another thing I did in one room was to mask about 3/4" down from the ceiling and paint around the corner to a perfect line without messing with the corner that never looks right anyway.

GreenDrake 05-16-2013 17:09

bathroom caulking on the tape seams leaves you with perfect lines, especially on textured walls.

Dennis in MA 05-16-2013 19:56

Draw a line with your 6 in one tool between the ceiling and wall. Simple as pie to cut in to that line.

After washing your brush, return it to the package or wrap it in paper towels to hold the original shape. I saw 3 brushes bent 30degrees today. Ugh.

scwine 05-16-2013 20:15

Are you painting walls and trim? Or just walls? There is a difference in what you will need. Latex or oil base?
These would be the first things a reply should consider.

scwine 05-16-2013 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis in MA (Post 20296262)
\

Rollers - cheap ones.

Why?

You never ever EVER wash a roller. It's a waste of time and water. Bag it between coats and then toss it at the end of the job.

Sorry,but that is wrong. Buy the stiffest roller frame and best roller cover you can afford. A good one washed out w/ water if using latex or washed out with thinner if using oil-base will last for a long long time. It will also put way more paint on the given area. Do not go cheap on rollers ever.

scwine 05-16-2013 20:28

Get a good adjustable roller pole and a 5 gallon bucket w/ a

*ACE* 05-16-2013 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detectorist (Post 20295650)
It's not brain surgery. Thanks for your help, anyway.

I hope whatever he's giving you is worth maybe $10. Because that's all your "expertise" is worth. So, if the job takes 10 hours, divided by 10, equals a buck an hour ............. yeah, that sounds about right.

But maybe you'll luck out. Some people like even crap on walls.

Just don't quit your real job.

Detectorist 05-16-2013 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ACE* (Post 20298197)
I hope whatever he's giving you is worth maybe $10. Because that's all your "expertise" is worth. So, if the job takes 10 hours, divided by 10, equals a buck an hour ............. yeah, that sounds about right.

But maybe you'll luck out. Some people like even crap on walls.

Just don't quit your real job.

Thanks for your positive input. I'll make sure to let the homeowner know about your concerns. :rofl:

Detectorist 05-16-2013 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDrake (Post 20297493)
bathroom caulking on the tape seams leaves you with perfect lines, especially on textured walls.

I'm not understanding that...

Detectorist 05-16-2013 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by scwine (Post 20298050)
Get a good adjustable roller pole and a 5 gallon bucket w/ a Wooster Brush F0001 Acme Deluxe Five Gallon Grid - Amazon.com

I'm not sure how that is used. I didn't see one of those 25 years ago when I did house painting....

Lots of new stuff out there...

scwine 05-16-2013 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detectorist (Post 20298314)
I'm not sure how that is used. I didn't see one of those 25 years ago when I did house painting....

Lots of new stuff out there...

Dennis in MA 05-17-2013 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by scwine (Post 20298364)

I remember watching that guy regarding better home safety about a decade ago - told me that having a gun was a bad idea. :rofl:

But yeah, that's how you use a screen/bucket.

VC-Racing 05-17-2013 09:09

Frog tape....... Google it .... best painter tape on tv ....;)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire