Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anyone know if Phoenix AZ has some kind of special handgun registration (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486979)

JimBean 05-14-2013 13:24

Anyone know if Phoenix AZ has some kind of special handgun registration

I was watching a TV show this morning about this woman that solves crimes with the help of her dreams. In the story, she lives in Phoenix and works with the local police. So the suspect is in the interogation room and the DA asks her if she has a 38 registered to her. I immediately thought that AZ seems so progun that handgun registration does not even seem likely. Which leads me to suspect that either the writer of the show got it wrong or there might be some secret gun registration program in AZ. What say you?

G36's Rule 05-14-2013 13:58

4473 for every transaction with an FFL. That would be the only record.

Pima Pants 05-14-2013 14:29

No registration in the Great Free State of Arizona.

FCastle88 05-14-2013 14:49

PA isn't supposed to have registration, but the State Police use sales/background check records(which according to state law are supposed to be destroyed) to maintain a "sales database" that they essentially use as registration. The police even refer to it as registration in press releases, or when they get a call about someone carrying the police will say gun was registered to them. Some people have even had their guns illegally confiscated by the police because it wasn't "registered" to them in the database. It's possible AZ used to have something similar, though my guess would be the show just got it wrong, they almost always do when it comes legal procedures, guns, etc.

JimBean 05-14-2013 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCastle88 (Post 20291928)
PA isn't supposed to have registration, but the State Police use sales/background check records(which according to state law are supposed to be destroyed) to maintain a "sales database" that they essentially use as registration. The police even refer to it as registration in press releases, or when they get a call about someone carrying the police will say gun was registered to them. Some people have even had their guns illegally confiscated by the police because it wasn't "registered" to them in the database. It's possible AZ used to have something similar, though my guess would be the show just got it wrong, they almost always do when it comes legal procedures, guns, etc.

So private sales are confiscated in PA?

MB-G26 05-14-2013 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBean (Post 20291741)
I was watching a TV show this morning about this woman that solves crimes with the help of her dreams. ... So the suspect is in the interogation [sic] room and the DA asks her if she has a 38 registered to her.... the writer of the show got it wrong?

Yes, inaccurate script.

This show perhaps?
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/medium...the_real_world

FCastle88 05-14-2013 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBean (Post 20291952)
So private sales are confiscated in PA?

Private sales of handguns have to go through a FFL, except between spouses, parents and children, or grandparents and grandchildren. Obviously people who move into the state and bring guns with them wouldn't have their guns in the database either. They get away with the database because it's incomplete for the above reasons, so the courts said technically it's not registration. Some LEO's either don't know that it's not really registration, or just don't like guns, and have taken CCWer's guns because they weren't in the database. It's not extremely common, but it happens enough that some people who got the gun through one of the exemptions, or moved into the state, will still pay a FFL to run the background check just so they show up as the owner in the database

JimBean 05-14-2013 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB-G26 (Post 20291971)
Yes, inaccurate script.

This show perhaps?
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/medium...the_real_world

Yes its about her. The show is called medium.

Sam Spade 05-14-2013 15:42

No registration of any type in AZ. State preemption laws prevent a city from trying that on their own.

xtreme99 05-14-2013 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Spade (Post 20292038)
No registration of any type in AZ. State preemption laws prevent a city from trying that on their own.

This. I love my state :-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

wjv 05-14-2013 16:28

It's a common error made by screenwriters who grew up and/or live in CA. . .

The TV show Criminal Minds is one example where the analyst chick, Garcia, magically finds guns that are registered to people when they are working in States/cities that don't have registration. . . Or worse yet, "gun permits" in States that don't subject their citizens to needing a permit to buy a gun.

Just once I'd like to see one of the TV FBI dudes tell someone that they were in possession of an unregistered gun and have the person respond "Hey dumbass, we don't have registration in this State".

jaws48 05-14-2013 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by G36's Rule (Post 20291819)
4473 for every transaction with an FFL. That would be the only record.

In AZ, that would be for "commercial" transactions only. Private sale of personal property to private individuals are private.

ateamer 05-14-2013 19:44

You're watching a show about someone solving crimes with her dreams and wondering if only a part of it is made up?

SGT HATRED 05-14-2013 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Spade (Post 20292038)

Ain't it grand? Love AZ!

og23 05-14-2013 20:31

I'm in a lot of trouble if we do.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

JimBean 05-14-2013 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamer (Post 20292696)
You're watching a show about someone solving crimes with her dreams and wondering if only a part of it is made up?

This is to verify one technical inaccuracy of the story. The person who the story is based upon did work with the Phoenix PD in real life, but there are many writing liberties taken that are easy to spot.

HKLovingIT 05-14-2013 22:59

"We found this gun at the crime scene. The serial number is registered in your name slick! Care ta 'splain that?"

So says every detective and lawyer show.

or

Police search house. Find gun. Homeowner "Hey man, those are registered! I got 'em legal."

"Sure, sure. Now let's us have a talk..."

:rofl:

dling 05-15-2013 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBean (Post 20291741)
I was watching a TV show this morning about this woman that solves crimes with the help of her dreams.

I think this is the problem. :rofl::rofl:

G36's Rule 05-15-2013 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws48 (Post 20292623)
In AZ, that would be for "commercial" transactions only. Private sale of personal property to private individuals are private.

Yes. That is what I said

Dennis in MA 05-15-2013 08:56

Yes, every gun is registered in every state and can be found within minutes. . . on TV. Dang the things I thought were true years ago trusting that infernal box.

fnfalman 05-15-2013 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamer (Post 20292696)

I don't know what else to add but...:rofl::rofl::rofl: