Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   1911 Forums (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   I've got an issue not my Ed Brown. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486887)

ergon 05-13-2013 19:48

I've got an issue not my Ed Brown.

I've got a two week old Kobra Carry. Gen 3 coating over stainless, Ambi, 10-8 rear sight. Now the problem, my eyes. I got up the other day picked up the Kobra and could not pick up the front sight. Started freaking out inside. After all these years I finally got the weapon I wanted yet I CAN'T SEE THE FRONT SIGHT. I called my opthamologist and see her Weds. for the final word. In the interim I need an option for the front sight. I've called XS about a big dot front. The dovetail cut is the same but the height XS is .285 vs Brown's Trijicon @ .180. Bill at XS, said I would be shooting low at 25 yds but my concern as a retired agent will be within 15 yds.. My last qual was in 98 300/300. That was then and this is now. What's wrong with my eye can't be fixed. Seems I picked up a microbe in S.E. Asia long ago and far away. Now if the Doc tells me it's getting worse I'll have to sell it but if a larger front will fix things I'm good. Someone here has bound to know someone or maybe been through similar problems. I really need your help please.

Erich

fnfalman 05-13-2013 19:59

How about going with red dot sight like the Trijicon RMR? It mounted in place of the rear sight.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

jjmoberg 05-13-2013 20:27

I wonder if your eyes would pick up a gold bead?? Or a fiber optic. Dawson Precision can make you any sight in any height that you want....

faawrenchbndr 05-13-2013 20:28

If it's that bad, a big dot sight will not fix the issue, sorry.

ergon 05-13-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 20289926)
If it's that bad, a big dot sight will not fix the issue, sorry.

I had a G-19 with AmeriGlo Hack Org/grn with a plain black rear could be seen clearly.

faawrenchbndr 05-13-2013 21:59

I replied to your thread on Addicts.

Chuck Rogers makes a white bead front sight, there are also a few
that make a gold or brass bead front sight. Those may work well.

MLittle 05-14-2013 08:21

I don't think it's your eyes.......I think it's the front night sights EB puts on their pistols. I have an Executive Carry and the front sight is not nearly as visible as the rear. The white outline is very faint and I also have a problem picking it up. I love my EC, but Brown really needs to work on installing good night sights. I wish I had the Mepros that are on my Sig pistols onto my EC....

ergon 05-14-2013 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLittle (Post 20290925)
I don't think it's your eyes.......I think it's the front night sights EB puts on their pistols. I have an Executive Carry and the front sight is not nearly as visible as the rear. The white outline is very faint and I also have a problem picking it up. I love my EC, but Brown really needs to work on installing good night sights. I wish I had the Mepros that are on my Sig pistols onto my EC....

I knew there had to be someone that had or had had the same issue. The standard XS should work but it will shoot a little low out at twenty five which I don't need to do today anyway.

awpk03s 05-14-2013 13:40

Use a XS Big Dot and get a Heinie Ledge rear in Tall height. Should keep your POI relative.

MLittle 05-14-2013 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergon (Post 20291164)
I knew there had to be someone that had or had had the same issue. The standard XS should work but it will shoot a little low out at twenty five which I don't need to do today anyway.

Yeah.....I don't get it....

The Ed Brown shop goes to great lengths to build a top notch, reliable and beautiful pistol.......then comes up short on the night sights.

I watched a Hickok45 video where he shoots his Kobra Karry and he mentions the same problem with the front sight on his pistol. It's a minor issue.....but it is irritating.

ergon 05-14-2013 17:31

Well, after calling several places I called my old friend Wayne Novak. I should have called him first. Seems he has what he calls a Mega Dot that will fit my Brown and fix the problem. Now if I can get good news from the doc. And since I've heard others complain about Brown's sights I just might have lucked out on this one.

venenoindy 05-15-2013 08:26

Dont forget the Trijicon HD's.

faawrenchbndr 05-15-2013 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergon (Post 20292331)
Well, after calling several places I called my old friend Wayne Novak. I should have called him first. Seems he has what he calls a Mega Dot that will fit my Brown and fix the problem. Now if I can get good news from the doc. And since I've heard others complain about Brown's sights I just might have lucked out on this one.

Awesome news, did not know Novak made a front sight like this
Found a pic,......

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...d83af423d0.jpg

ergon 05-15-2013 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 20293748)
Awesome news, did not know Novak made a front sight like this
Found a pic,......

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...d83af423d0.jpg

Yeah, that's it.

faawrenchbndr 05-15-2013 10:19

Great looking sight, may have to take a closer look at those.
I have run the XS Big Dots on Glocks before, super fast on target!