Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Federal 180 grain jhp in .44 magnum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486578)

OHIO DEPUTY 8240 05-11-2013 13:41

Federal 180 grain jhp in .44 magnum

Anyone out there have any experience with this load for the street? I'm using a 4 inch model 29. Couple of my good friends recommend it.

M 7 05-11-2013 14:03

According to Federal, that load (the C44B) has a muzzle velocity of 1490 fps for 887 fpe out of a 4" barrel- it certainly doesn't lack in the "horse-power" department.

Looks like Dr. Roberts tested it here (there's a photo of the expanded round),

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19930

but I was unable to locate any further data like recovered weight, expanded diameter and penetration depth.

Perhaps Dr. Roberts could step in here with that data if he still has it? :cool:

dp2002813 05-11-2013 14:43

Great gun! I'm also interested in what you find.

I've heard that the .44mag ammo is prone to over penetrate. At 180gr, if it doesn't pass through it'll pack a wallop.

I been using 200gr .44spls for 2-legged SD.

Zombie Steve 05-11-2013 17:15

I don't mind 200 grain bullets... I shoot a bunch of 240's because I cast them... they will penetrate a lot. :supergrin:

One thing I'd tell you to prepare for if you're shooting 180's is a ton of muzzle blast / concussion. If you want to kill something and cook it at the same time, this is the round for you.

Whatever your opinion of carrying handloads for SD, tuning that bullet down to about 1,200 fps will make a big difference in shootability.

I have that 240 grain lswc I cast in a nice load of Unique going 950 fps. It's plenty for anything here.

If you don't load, you might consider a 200-210 in .44 special.

Ceapea 05-11-2013 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Steve (Post 20284205)
One thing I'd tell you to prepare for if you're shooting 180's is a ton of muzzle blast / concussion.

This!!
The factory Remington 180's that I shot out of my 4" 629 were the nastiest rounds that I ever shot. I bought two boxes, just to empty them so that I could reload them with whatever I wanted to. I was able to eventually finish one box, then, I didn't even want to deal with the second one. I finished it within the following year, a little at a time.
I can shoot full house 240's almost all day long, one handed!
Those 180's, not so much.

Hornady makes their Critical Defense in 44 spl now, I like them. That is what is in my 629...when it is it's turn to pull "house gun" duty.

gatorboy 05-15-2013 10:21

They have 200 gr. GD's 44 Mag. Lite. Gaping HP and pretty long for a 200. Same bullets used in the 44 Special GD about 150 fps faster. Those factory Remington 180's are harsh.

SCmasterblaster 05-15-2013 10:39

180gr bullet out of a 4-inch barrel - watch out for the extreme muzzle blast!

cowboy1964 05-15-2013 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 20294015)

:whistling:

SCmasterblaster 05-15-2013 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 20294176)
:whistling:

Quite blinding at night . . . . . .

fastbolt 05-15-2013 12:57

Back in the days when revolvers were the common duty weapon you saw in police holsters, it wasn't hard to find .44 Magnum revolvers. I worked with guys who carried them.

I didn't get around to carrying mine on-duty, mostly because I was busy spending my limited extra income on things other than a Buscadero rig. I just never got around to getting it before they pulled all the issued & authorized personally-owned revolvers and gave everyone WonderNines. :wow:). I carried one or another of them off-duty, often enough, though.

The Remington or Federal 180gr JHP was my then-favorite load of choice. I was a long time Magnum revolver shooter, as well as a reloader, before entering LE, so I'd done a fair amount of shooting to keep my skills sharp with the Magnum wheelguns.

One advantage to all that .44 Magnum shooting was that it made the medium-bore .357 Magnum guns, even loaded with 125gr JHP's, seem pretty tame and enjoyable by comparison. ;)

Yep, the 180gr Magnum loads had a lot of muzzle blast and torque/whip (although porting helped with the torque).

I eventually switched over to the Winchester 210gr STHP. Better muzzle blast & felt recoil. More of a moderate load. It was reportedly performing well in occasional shootings of that time.

Although I still take a couple of my .44's through range training sessions now and again, I don't use them for retirement CCW for everyday usage. Too big & heavy for my preferences. A bit much for use in an urban environment, most of the time. Why increase my exposure to unnecessary liability due to potential perforation (often called over-penetration) of an intended threat target around town?

A .44 Spl? I went through that phase, too. Nostalgic ... but easier to carry a 1911 (or other single stack .45) loaded with modern 230gr hollowpoints. (Okay, or a plastic G21, M&P 45 or USP/HK45, if you like a lightweight plastic gun with a bit more on-board ammo. :) )

Then again, now that we've moved out into the Coastal hills, I can see the possibility of carrying one of them as a "backwoods" gun again, which I used to do quite a bit as a younger man, wandering the back roads and fire trails of the county & national forests.

The last couple of times I took my .44's to the range showed me how far they'd passed into history among LE users, though.

One of our younger firearms instructors (40) had never handled or fired one, and he found the felt recoil a bit much after only a few cylinder loads. (I mostly let him shoot some standard factory 240's and some mild SWC reloads I pulled from my older ammo ... and a cylinder load of some 315gr JHP reloads keep put back. :rofl: )

On the other hand, a while before that, a couple of the older instructors (my vintage) enjoyed it when I brought a couple of my .44's that day, as it brought a smile to their faces remembering when they used to carry them as young cops. I think one of them said he used to carry a M29 while working motors for several years.

Having owned Ruger and S&W .44's, if I were going to carry one and do a lot of shooting (training, practice, etc) with Magnum loads, it would be my Redhawk, not my 629.

fredj338 05-15-2013 12:59

It would certainly work but, full power 44mags, particularly in 3"-4" guns are brutal to shoot, slow follow up shots & lots & lots of flash. If you must carry your 3"-4", as I do at times when hiking/packing, handload it with something like a 200-210grJHP @ 1100fps or as I do a 250grLHP @ 1000fps. Easier to shoot fast, less blast & flash. You will get complete penetration in most animate targets to 300#.

Ceapea 05-15-2013 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 20294015)

Here is what it looks like...

180gr, Remington JHP, 4" 629-1

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...c/44_flash.jpg

But then again, this is my son shooting Remington 240gr from my "original" Flat Top...

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...sc/blast-1.jpg

rustytxrx 05-15-2013 19:03

I have an airlite PD. I like to shoot these in it. I think it will work

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...psc6922b23.jpg

Ak.Hiker 05-18-2013 00:02

If Winchester still loads their 210 grain Silvertip that would be a good option for SD.

Tiro Fijo 05-18-2013 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytxrx (Post 20295097)

I have shot some of those as well as their hotter 190 gr. lead HP in my S&W 696. Extremely accurate, however I still carry the Corbon DPX in my CA Bulldog. I was going to use the FWC on one of my buddy's hogs at his ranch but the cougars got there first. :whistling:

gatorboy 05-19-2013 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytxrx (Post 20295097)

Those are some nasty buggers... anti-personnel indeed.

OHIO DEPUTY 8240 05-19-2013 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastbolt (Post 20294332)
Back in the days when revolvers were the common duty weapon you saw in police holsters, it wasn't hard to find .44 Magnum revolvers. I worked with guys who carried them.

I didn't get around to carrying mine on-duty, mostly because I was busy spending my limited extra income on things other than a Buscadero rig. I just never got around to getting it before they pulled all the issued & authorized personally-owned revolvers and gave everyone WonderNines. :wow:). I carried one or another of them off-duty, often enough, though.

The Remington or Federal 180gr JHP was my then-favorite load of choice. I was a long time Magnum revolver shooter, as well as a reloader, before entering LE, so I'd done a fair amount of shooting to keep my skills sharp with the Magnum wheelguns.

One advantage to all that .44 Magnum shooting was that it made the medium-bore .357 Magnum guns, even loaded with 125gr JHP's, seem pretty tame and enjoyable by comparison. ;)

Yep, the 180gr Magnum loads had a lot of muzzle blast and torque/whip (although porting helped with the torque).

I eventually switched over to the Winchester 210gr STHP. Better muzzle blast & felt recoil. More of a moderate load. It was reportedly performing well in occasional shootings of that time.

Although I still take a couple of my .44's through range training sessions now and again, I don't use them for retirement CCW for everyday usage. Too big & heavy for my preferences. A bit much for use in an urban environment, most of the time. Why increase my exposure to unnecessary liability due to potential perforation (often called over-penetration) of an intended threat target around town?

A .44 Spl? I went through that phase, too. Nostalgic ... but easier to carry a 1911 (or other single stack .45) loaded with modern 230gr hollowpoints. (Okay, or a plastic G21, M&P 45 or USP/HK45, if you like a lightweight plastic gun with a bit more on-board ammo. :) )

Then again, now that we've moved out into the Coastal hills, I can see the possibility of carrying one of them as a "backwoods" gun again, which I used to do quite a bit as a younger man, wandering the back roads and fire trails of the county & national forests.

The last couple of times I took my .44's to the range showed me how far they'd passed into history among LE users, though.

One of our younger firearms instructors (40) had never handled or fired one, and he found the felt recoil a bit much after only a few cylinder loads. (I mostly let him shoot some standard factory 240's and some mild SWC reloads I pulled from my older ammo ... and a cylinder load of some 315gr JHP reloads keep put back. :rofl: )

On the other hand, a while before that, a couple of the older instructors (my vintage) enjoyed it when I brought a couple of my .44's that day, as it brought a smile to their faces remembering when they used to carry them as young cops. I think one of them said he used to carry a M29 while working motors for several years.

Having owned Ruger and S&W .44's, if I were going to carry one and do a lot of shooting (training, practice, etc) with Magnum loads, it would be my Redhawk, not my 629.

I considered using the Remington 240 SJHP as an alternative as one of my local gun dealers has those in stock. However I found the Federal 180 in stock at a store within driving distance. I agree that shooting the 44 magnum makes my k frame .357 a real joy to shoot. I carried an n frame . 41 magnum for a number of years and still break it out occasionally. Alot of the younger guys haven't ever seen a cop with a wheelgun.

OHIO DEPUTY 8240 05-19-2013 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorboy (Post 20304113)
Those are some nasty buggers... anti-personnel indeed.

I am a big fan of the full wadcutter bullet and or the inverted hollowbase wadcutter, however my department limits me to hollow point ammunition only. The rangemaster didn't say which hollow point so far so good!:tongueout:

SCmasterblaster 05-19-2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceapea (Post 20294682)
Here is what it looks like...

180gr, Remington JHP, 4" 629-1

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...c/44_flash.jpg

But then again, this is my son shooting Remington 240gr from my "original" Flat Top...

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...sc/blast-1.jpg

It looks like a brand-new basketball!