Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ammunition Management for More Obtainability Act, or AMMO act (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483942)

glockman66 04-27-2013 00:58

Ammunition Management for More Obtainability Act, or AMMO act

An Oklahoma State Senator and Representative are doing something "RIGHT"!!:patriot::perfect10:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...with-ammo-act/
Government
GOP Lawmakers Hope to Combat Ammunition Stockpiling by Gov’t Agencies With AMMO Act
Apr. 25, 2013 8:00pm Jason Howerton

ALSO:

http://freebeacon.com/gop-bill-seeks...mmo-purchases/
GOP Bill Seeks to Cut Back Government Ammo Purchases
AMMO Act would limit ammo buying, storing for non-Pentagon departments and agencies
BY: Adam Kredo
April 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Spiffums 04-27-2013 05:42

You just watch and see if it's not picked up by the "other side" and they try to limit us to 50 rds of stored ammo.

M2 Carbine 04-27-2013 06:33

Bad idea.

If something like that is enacted, step two will be to limit sales to private citizens.

"Hey, if the government doesn't need all that ammunition, joe blow surely doesn't need more that a box of bullets a month".

Ragnar 04-27-2013 06:33

Not seeing a need for this law. The ammo "shortage" was not related to DHS purchases. A law such as this one is not only unnecessary but subject to abuse.

frank4570 04-27-2013 07:25

Misguided. And possibly a trojan horse.

Bruce M 04-27-2013 07:41

If this is good legislation, what other kinds of problems can we "solve" legislatively?

Bruce M 04-27-2013 07:48

I guess if one really believes that the reason that there is no ammunition on the shelves at Walmart is because of what DHS has bought then perhaps one would support this legislation. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483764

sierrafast 04-27-2013 08:29

I agree with M2, this is clearly a bad idea.

Angry Fist 04-27-2013 08:39

NO MORE NEW LAWS! Almost always a step in the wrong direction. Lets repeal a few tens of thousands, first.

kahrcarrier 04-27-2013 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrafast (Post 20224978)
I agree with M2, this is clearly a bad idea.

Absolutely.

Jim85IROC 04-27-2013 08:41

I see no chance of this law even coming to a vote. It's nothing more than a statement.

oldman11 04-27-2013 10:03

Actually it sounds good to me. I'll admit I do see a possibility of a Trojan horse. Oh boy, here is another one of those 50/50 things.

Glockdude1 04-27-2013 10:15

Only a year ago there was PLENTY of ammo in every caliber.

After, Sandy Hook did amo fly off the shelves.

With gun control dying in Congress, it will get better.

:cool:

ray9898 04-27-2013 10:39

How cute...both sides aren't afraid of a little political grandstanding which play on the stupidity of their electorate.

Anyone with common sense and basic math skills knows this is BS legislation.

IndyGunFreak 04-27-2013 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2 Carbine (Post 20224730)
Bad idea.

If something like that is enacted, step two will be to limit sales to private citizens.

"Hey, if the government doesn't need all that ammunition, joe blow surely doesn't need more that a box of bullets a month".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 20224731)
Not seeing a need for this law. The ammo "shortage" was not related to DHS purchases. A law such as this one is not only unnecessary but subject to abuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank4570 (Post 20224821)
Misguided. And possibly a trojan horse.

What these guys said...

NO MORE LAWS UNLESS THEY WILL ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!! IF WE PUSH STUPID LAWS THAT WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, WE ARE NO BETTER THAN OUR OPPONENTS!

cowboy1964 04-27-2013 13:15

Won't have any effect for multiple reasons, among them, the "stockpiling" by the feds is spread over years and only amounts to a tiny fraction of the overall ammo market. Not to mention that the feds are only buying from, what, one manufacturer, and only specific types of ammo.

Meanwhile the debt-to-GDP hit 105%. But hey, keep wasting time on BS, Congress.

silentpoet 04-27-2013 13:27

Lets make a law that says hot chicks have to go out with guys like me. Pretty much the same thing.

railfancwb 04-27-2013 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentpoet (Post 20225662)
Lets make a law that says hot chicks have to go out with guys like me. Pretty much the same thing.

Think this will work? If so, I will propose an amendment...

At Lowes this afternoon, checking out, and a young female cashier had to squat down to scan a bar code. Reminded me of a 1960s folk song. Her jeans went "...so low they revealed a new cleavage." Maybe I'm not as old as I thought.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

pizza_pablo 04-27-2013 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 20225632)
Won't have any effect for multiple reasons, among them, the "stockpiling" by the feds is spread over years and only amounts to a tiny fraction of the overall ammo market. Not to mention that the feds are only buying from, what, one manufacturer, and only specific types of ammo.

Meanwhile the debt-to-GDP hit 105%. But hey, keep wasting time on BS, Congress.

Really? This looks like a LOT of specifics.
https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&m...=core&_cview=1
What does DHS need with thousands of rounds of .30 carbine and .45 Long Colt?

G19Tony 04-27-2013 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentpoet (Post 20225662)

I like this law. :cool:

I don't like the other law. It's bad legislation. :faint:

Bruce M 04-27-2013 15:01

Among the reasons that come to mind are that someone in DHS may be testing the effectiveness of body armor (or vehicle armor or armored shields) against various types of ammunition and that someone might be doing some testing with other guns for potential approval. It would not shock me that some agency still has some M1 carbines in stock somewhere.

glockman66 04-28-2013 16:33

IMHO, Sen Inhofes' and Rep. Lucas' integrity would preclude this act as being any attempt at creating a Trojan Horse. And after the enduring/surviving the past term and the beginning of the next term of Obama, IMHO his "integrity" and "transparency" is nonexistent(exists only in the minds of the sheeple/Kool-Aid drinkers--especially in the lib MSM). I would be willing to compare the integrity of Inhofe and Lucas at any time against the integrity of the Obama adminstration. That being said, I would not put it past the Obama administration to grab at any straw(limiting ammo purchases of law abiding citizens) and bend it/shape it to make it work to expand and enlarge their control & power grab agendas--especially in matters of gun control and the elimination of the 2nd Amendment.

stevelyn 04-28-2013 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 20224731)

But I don't think Homoland inSecurity shouldn't have as much as they're getting either. They are a dept. that shouldn't exist anyway.

I don't support the bill because I don't think govt has any business interferring with the free-market supply and demand of a legal product.

ray9898 04-28-2013 18:10

I guess people would feel better if the Border Patrol, ICE, Secret Service, Coast Guard and dozen or so other agencies ordered their ammo individually. This is no different than the DOD ordering bulk supplies for the branches of the military.

IndyGunFreak 04-28-2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockman66 (Post 20228995)
IMHO, Sen Inhofes' and Rep. Lucas' integrity would preclude this act as being any attempt at creating a Trojan Horse..

While that may not be their intent, it doesn't mean someone can't reinvent the english language so that the bill suits their agenda...

You know, how liberals take:
"A well organized militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"...

as talking about the National Guard.