Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Officer's Choice? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483254)

glock1911revolver 04-22-2013 14:46

Officer's Choice?

So last week I had a JBT illegally following me for a couple of miles, then pulled me over for no reason whatsoever, and

Just kidding. I recently saw a sheriff's deputy getting in his car and noticed he had a revolver on his hip. This was in a very sparsely populated county in the midwest, so obviously not a large department, but I still thought it was odd. My question is in 2013, do you have any choice in what you carry? If not now, was there ever a time when you could, and how long ago?

ateamer 04-22-2013 14:56

My agency switched from revolvers to Glocks in 1990. We have no choice in what we carry, except in that plainclothes deputies can be authorized to carry something else. Since that took effect, we have one guy carrying a 1911 and one with a Browning Hi-Power. I hope it leads to giving all personnel a choice. I'd still carry a Glock 22, though.

SPDSNYPR 04-22-2013 15:00

We carry the issued pistol (Glock) for uniform patrol - no choice.

boomhower 04-22-2013 15:19

Duty weapons are issued with no choice but you can carry a BUG of your choice. They've issued for years, back into the 80s with revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharky7 04-22-2013 15:19

Some agencies allow choice of carry. I still see a handful of old timers at court jobs with their revolvers. To each their own - more ammo the better for me. It's nostalgic and brings a smile to my face, but I would not be comfortable with that many rounds.

countrygun 04-22-2013 15:22

Back in the late 1970's the Clackamas County (Oregon) still had a "If you can qualify with it, you can carry it" policy. They even made exceptions in the qualifications for certain assignments and skill sets. There was a Deputy, who worked in the most isolated district who was cleared for a Ruger Blackhawk.

ClydeG19 04-22-2013 15:39

Can carry whatever we want in 9mm, 10mm, 45, 45 gap, 40, and 357sig. The only caveat is that our firearms instructor needs to ok it. So basically it has to be a non-crappy brand.

Rabbi 04-22-2013 15:45

Any semi-auto in .40 or .45 (because that is the ammo the agency buys) that one of our certified firearms instructors approves.

Any BUG you want (and qualify with)

Any 12 guage that is approved (name brand pump, semi auto)

Any approved (again, name brand) AR type in 5.56.

Some also qualify with an .308, either bolt or semi with glass.

You can also draw an agency AR (bushmaster) or 12 guage (1200)

glock1911revolver 04-22-2013 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClydeG19 (Post 20211280)
Can carry whatever we want in 9mm, 10mm, 45, 45 gap, 40, and 357sig. The only caveat is that our firearms instructor needs to ok it. So basically it has to be a non-crappy brand.

Interesting. Once you make your choice, how difficult is it for you to change your mind? Let's say you got a 357 sig okayed by the instructor, but for whatever reason you want to switch to 40. Since the 357 was already cleared, could you potentially go back whenever you wanted? As an extreme example, could you carry a different caliber for each day?

RyanNREMTP 04-22-2013 15:50

Pistol wise full timers are issued a Sig in 40 cal. Us reserves are allowed anything as long as it is 40 cal.

Rifle wise I carry my Colt.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

texmex 04-22-2013 16:10

We supply our own and can carry a quality manufactured 38-45 plus FN 5.7 for plain clothes, 357-45 plus FN 5.7 for uniform. I'm the last one carrying a revolver. The rest carry 1911 45, Glock 45, Glock 357, FN 5.7 or Sig 40. I generally carry a Smith 627 Pro Series 8 shot 357 4 ". Sometimes I carry a 627 Performance Center 8 shot 357 2.5" or a Smith 640 Pro Series 5 shot 357 2". A Ruger LCR 357 is my bug. I'm mostly plainclothes but wear a uniform occasionally. I drive an unmarked Tahoe.

I have several 1911s and a few Glocks. They are tempting, but the revolver shoots where I am looking. Revolvers also seem faster for me to get off an accurate first shot, but that may be just that I am more used to a revolver. 8 rounds of 357 Magnum compares pretty well to 9 rounds of 45 in a 1911. On my belt right now are three 8 shot 5 star speed loaders and three 8 shot moon clips. If I'm not carrying a 357, it is usually a Smith 325 4" 45ACP Thunder Ranch or a Smith 325 2.75" Nightguard 45 ACP. The 357s hold more ammo but the 45s are faster to reload. 357 usually has better barrier penetration and I have been in situations where that was important. Autos seem to encourage spray and pray. Situations like Major Nidal at Fort Hood or the shootout that Waterstown et al had with the Boston Bombers sometimes make one think about firepower. I guess that is why all of our units are issued an AR-15 and lots of magazines. Most agencies in my area do not approve revolvers anymore. If I had to switch, it would probably be to a 1911 so not much increase in firepower. 1911 magazines are so delicate compared to speed loaders!

Ohio Cop 04-22-2013 16:12

Saw a Chicago PD officer at O'Hare airport rocking a revolver.

The last few guys who were carrying revolvers around here retired recently. Still see some of the old timers and their weaver stance at the range for retired quals.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

ede 04-22-2013 16:32

I was in Rosedale, MS (Google Crossroads Robet Johnson, interesting story) few years ago for work. Each day I ate lunch at a small diner at the crossroad and two depuities would eat there. One carried a Kimber in a cheap slide holster and other a S&W revolver. Neither wore a duty belt, cuffs, or spare ammo. That was the last revolver I seen someone carry on duty.

Rabbi 04-22-2013 16:55

I do not see Peace Officers around here with wheelguns but I do see a security guard with one from time to time. In particular, some of the armored car guys.

NavyMSU 04-22-2013 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbi (Post 20211502)
I do not see Peace Officers around here with wheelguns but I do see a security guard with one from time to time. In particular, some of the armored car guys.

I recently met a 30 veteran of the Houston PD on overtime at my local Home Depot rocking the wheel gun.

It caught my attention from several aisles away.

Had a nice conversation about it: needless to say, she qualifies with both, and has her G22 in her locker at the station, but she said she prefers her S&W .357 Mag (don't know the model, I'm not a wheel gun guy).

When it comes to 15 rounds vs 6, one has to have a very high level of confidence and proficiency with a wheel gun!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

blueiron 04-22-2013 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyMSU (Post 20211535)

When it comes to 15 rounds vs 6, one has to have a very high level of confidence and proficiency with a wheel gun!

One simply needs to be more deliberate with a revolver. Plenty of revolver shooters back in the day were 'Gatling gunners' and relied on the statistical probability of 'spray and pray'.

countrygun 04-22-2013 18:20

I absolutely forgot that there was a wheelgunner on our nearby town PD a few years ago. He finally got chided into getting a Sig (don't know which model) but his old-fashioned 686 is in my wife's .357 collection.

CC99 04-22-2013 19:09

My first issue was a S&W 586 .357 Mag & we were 'issued' Win Ammo. Had to have 18 rounds at all times with SO. Off duty was specified as .38 cal.

Then I went to the State & we got what we were issued... anything else was "Contraband".

We could choose our underwear and socks. Eventually, we were allowed to choose 'duty boots' from an approved list.

Many City Depts were allowed to carry from an 'approved list' (so I heard).
The State took 'uniform' to a whole new level. Spent most my time with the State. State did NOT allow 'bugs', officially.

Gombey 04-22-2013 19:15

About two or three years ago I saw a Birmingham officer in uniform w/a revolver. I believe he was close to retirement.

The sheriff in one of the counties I cover carries one as well.

ETA: When we are first hired they give us a choice of a 22 or 23. Some of the more senior officers were able to choose the 27. They stopped offering that though. AFAIK once you chose that's it.

ClydeG19 04-22-2013 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock1911revolver (Post 20211310)
Interesting. Once you make your choice, how difficult is it for you to change your mind? Let's say you got a 357 sig okayed by the instructor, but for whatever reason you want to switch to 40. Since the 357 was already cleared, could you potentially go back whenever you wanted? As an extreme example, could you carry a different caliber for each day?

No idea. We all carry our issued Glock 22 anyway. I suppose I should have mentioned that.